Triton Method for Species tanks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

clorox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading one of my tanks to a fairly large species biotope dedicated to multiple S.Gigantea and clowns. There will be other fish and a limited number of corals, but emphasis will be on the anemones.

I will introduce some large colonies of M.Capricornis from another tank and perhaps a few colonies of LPS.

I've been reading about the Triton method at length on this forum and others and it appears that the majority of tanks using it are largely SPS dominated.

Given that the most important factor in a captive reef is stability (which is fundamental for S.Gigantea) and Triton appears to advocate it first and foremost, is it safe to assume that the Triton Method is applicable to any tank environment and not just on SPS reef tanks?

Thanks!

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading one of my tanks to a fairly large species biotope dedicated to multiple S.Gigantea and clowns. There will be other fish and a limited number of corals, but emphasis will be on the anemones.

I will introduce some large colonies of M.Capricornis from another tank and perhaps a few colonies of LPS.

I've been reading about the Triton method at length on this forum and others and it appears that the majority of tanks using it are largely SPS dominated.

Given that the most important factor in a captive reef is stability (which is fundamental for S.Gigantea) and Triton appears to advocate it first and foremost, is it safe to assume that the Triton Method is applicable to any tank environment and not just on SPS reef tanks?

Thanks!
Sorry for late reply. Hope this info still helps you. The Base elementz, which is a big part of the triton method is designed to add the macro and trace elements back into a a diverse reef system heavy on sps corals. Since it is a "one product fits all" design, those who are running species specific tanks may find certain element levels slipping out of line. Where does this leave hobbyists like you? Well its hard to say because there really are so many variables to consider when running any reef tank. If you are running the triton method complete with an algae filter I would say you will probably be ok with some adjustments here or there. If you don't mind adding some trace elements as needed then I would say give it a try.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Have you kept S. gigantea before?

Most people who have established ones worry about bringing in another one and its potential bacterial contamination.

I kept two for a couple of years, but when I added the second, the first (which had been fine for about a year before that) started a long slow decline as the second one grew and grew. Now I just have the big second one, with a trio of clowns and an anemone crab in it.

So I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the special challenges that might ensue with multiple S. gigantea in a single tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clorox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. To answer your question, yes, I am very familiar with S.Gigantea.
I am setting up a new tank specifically to address their growth.
My old experimental species tank I am replacing wasn't meant to be the home for 4 gigs, but somehow it just happened. I maintain a very tight husbandry regimen as well as careful observation.
I had to sell one of my gigs because it outgrew my little 24" tank.

The new tank I am in the process of setting up will be entirely dedicated to keeping S.Gigantea.

Here's a shot of my old tank I am replacing with my 4 gigs before I sold the 20" purple in the background.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-27%20at%2015.53.23_zpsvw03k9nx.png

Have you kept S. gigantea before?

Most people who have established ones worry about bringing in another one and its potential bacterial contamination.

I kept two for a couple of years, but when I added the second, the first (which had been fine for about a year before that) started a long slow decline as the second one grew and grew. Now I just have the big second one, with a trio of clowns and an anemone crab in it.

So I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the special challenges that might ensue with multiple S. gigantea in a single tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back