Trying to figure it out what’s on some of my corals.

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’ve noticed in the last week these strings hanging on some of my corals. Especially on my goni frag and on my big bubble. Videos taken at night with white light so corals are not out. The Goni doesn’t really come out because of those strings. Wondering if it’s some sort of Dino’s?
Also putting a photo on what the bubble looks like during the day whens open. I’ve had it for 2 weeks. Looked at least 3 times bigger at my lfs when it was fully extended.

ABED5738-84AB-490D-9F08-D11FD82A3F19.png

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If algae, you need to solve the excess nutrient issue and i would do some manual removal.
the goniopora doesn't look happy at all. Have you tried dipping in a little bit if iodine, lower light zone and low flow to see if it will open up?

OP
OP
G

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried dipping in iodine. It opens everyday but it doesn’t open where the algae is. Just around. I will move it to next to the sand where there’s less flow. How would you do manual removal? Toothbrush?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried dipping in iodine. It opens everyday but it doesn’t open where the algae is. Just around. I will move it to next to the sand where there’s less flow. How would you do manual removal? Toothbrush?
Algae only grows on dead coral so it's likely the goni was declining for another reason before the algae started growing.
What kind of cuc do you have? Turbo snails are great at controlling hair algae...

OP
OP
G

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your parameters? How old is your tank? Looks like they are very unhappy and sliming. I call it that for lack of a better term.
Hey mate as in today parameters were ( I say were as I did a big 25% water change as nitrates and phos were high) these parameters are before water change.
Tank is 5 months old. 120 g

Alk 8.4
Ph 8.1
Phos 0.5
Calc 530
Mag 1400
Nitrate 41
Hoping that nitrate and phos went down after this bigger water change. Also started dosing nopox. Was only dosing calcium, mag and Alk.
Any other tips if I’m missing anything would be great
Thanks mate

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back