Tunicata comes to R2R!

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!
I am tunicata, I've been into reefkeeping specifically for the past...3 years now? It all started in college when a friend of mine forced me to help her maintain a FOWLR she had built for her independent study.

My major was marine biology but I could not stand fish tanks! NO PURPOSE!
Lol, that was a long time ago. Now I have tanks of my own and while I only have 3 green chromis for 'effect' I am venturing into gaining more fish (mainly because my gf says she likes other peoples tanks more...grr).

My main stock is leather corals and LPS corals. Right now I have a 65g tank w/40g sump. Will soon either add on a 33g L and 20g L or give those two tanks as it's own system and run it on a 30g sump.

I don't really like the dimensions of the 65g tank, short yet deep. I'm told that I would like it more if it looked less like a science project and more like a real display i.e. nice scaping and fish. It is not heavily automated. Only thing is my lights on a timer. I don't dose, but I have for calcium and alkalinity with ESV. I'm waiting on an order from bulkreefsupply to try out their stuff. Just want to see/try things out on my smaller set up.

This is the reason I am setting up the other tanks (they will house my projects). This is the reason I am trying to get a longer display to be safe for tangs. Not sure what to get but that wont happen until late summer.

What else can I say...my fav. corals are acans and micros, the fleshy variety.
I am beginning to try my hand at a variety of DIY projects. I am now just researching and hope to see if I can raise clownfish or banggai fry (while culturing rot. and phyto as well).

Well, that's about it I suppose unless someone wants to say something.

If you know of any cool projects to do that would be good for a beginner in mechanical hands-on projects let me know!!! I believe someone will be showing me to to install bulk fittings soon!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I think you'll like it here. People are always willing to help each other out.

OP
OP
T

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Warm welcome folks!

Oh, hey there Russell, I knew I had seen you somewhere before. I'm a mainer as well! Well, I went to school up there anyway...I plan to move back someday.

So, I'm going to be doing a major rehaul on my tank. Making it truly ready for my fave corals: LPS.
I have too many leathers that go into battle with my current LPS, and I just can't have that. I need to figure out a good balance in the tank.
I am starting this weekend, so will just build up pictures then make a nice tank thread. Like everyone says, the thread is worthless without pics.
And one or too blurry shots does little justice!!!

I'll also be getting some marco rock soon soo I hope to show that curing process (for some reason people like to show pics of that so I figure I will to :))

And btw, I do like it here, it's pretty. I didn't visit czoa too much unless I needed to know something specific, but now that it's full blown reef, I'm here everyday!

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you didnt mean getting the 33l or 20l for a tang did you? well i hope not, but how can you be a marine biologist and not like fish tanks?! that just baffles me, im a marine biologist too but the only reason i even got into this field is because of fish tanks, i dunno maybe youre on the coast and have access to the water at all times but i didnt so all i had were fish tanks
what school did/are you going to?

OP
OP
T

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!!!! No way, I am def. not even thinking of putting a tang into the 20-33l!!!
Folks would kill me if I even thought of it (which I haven't). They are going to make my display 'pretty'.

I got into marine biology for invertebrate research, mainly evolution, sensory systems and ecology. I wasn't even too big on dolphins and whales for their sake (interested in sensory systems/sonar/language only!).

I just graduated in May from Unity College in Maine. Originally I'm from NYC, so even though that's on the coast I never really experienced it. Just before graduation I decided to take some time from theoretical science and teach, so now I am a highschool science teacher and I'm trying to get my kids to understand coral reefs in terms of our curriculum.

-edit btw, I'm upgrading my display tank, not sure what it'll be yet. I have to scrape some funds up before summer.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back