Twitching after copper

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to all.

I have a purple tang that went through prazi and them copper treatment. Now I see every now and then he/she would twitch. Can copper cause this ?
Eats like a pig from day one and through the entire qt time. breathing regular only thing odd is the twitching.

Onelove.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A purple tang doesn't normally twitch like that. I'd like to ask the details of your prazi treatment. How exactly did you do it? Dose on day one, water change 48 hours later, second dose 5-7 days after the first?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do it tomorrow but for some reason I don’t believe it’s flukes.
It may not be but I’ve been surprised many times in the past!

Twitching is most frequently attributed to flukes and the like.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in your finding because I had a blue throat trigger that started twitching during copper treatment. I also did not find any flukes during a fresh water dip, but completed two rounds of prazi and formalin just to make sure since the twitching persisted. Eventually I added him to the dt and he finally stopped twitching after about a month in copper free water. Six months later he is still doing great. In the absence of any disease diagnosis I have attributed the twitching to the copper.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s twitching attributed to itchy healing

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in your finding because I had a blue throat trigger that started twitching during copper treatment. I also did not find any flukes during a fresh water dip, but completed two rounds of prazi and formalin just to make sure since the twitching persisted. Eventually I added him to the dt and he finally stopped twitching after about a month in copper free water. Six months later he is still doing great. In the absence of any disease diagnosis I have attributed the twitching to the copper.

I will post my findings in the morning after dip. Will be starting GC after that. I believe it’s the copper power that caused it was going to put him/her in the display but I heard Humblefish and the crew in my head saying don’t do it till you sure so i checked in with the crew first. So dip and GC it is just to be sure.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely worth taking the time to rule out any other possibility. Once he goes in the DT you can’t go backwards. BTW there is a disease in freshwater fish called the shimmies. According to a few articles I have read it has been attributed in some cases to copper. Videos of this condition showed similar symptoms to what my trigger was displaying.

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the copper. I was going to try and wait it out but my love for my fishes won’t let me do it. They are like my kids don’t like to see them looking like something is wrong.

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely worth taking the time to rule out any other possibility. Once he goes in the DT you can’t go backwards. BTW there is a disease in freshwater fish called the shimmies. According to a few articles I have read it has been attributed in some cases to copper. Videos of this condition showed similar symptoms to what my trigger was displaying.

It’s not a head twitching thing it’s more like a little body twitching. I tried to get a vid but it’s not happening hides every time [emoji23]

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nothing was seen in the water did a big water change running AC now when I get back will start GC.

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update after being in GC for 12hrs he/she is twitching a little more regular now. Was not doing it that often before.

OP
OP
Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is water change day yesterday he/she twitching slowed back down will see what happens with the water change later on today

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back