Tying main display and frag tank together

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently received a 50 gallon CADE frag system and it’s larger than i expected and won’t fit where I originally had planned.

I want to tie the system together with my display tank but they will have to be in different rooms.

I do have an unfinished basement but I don’t want to drill large holes in each room to run 1” pipe down and then back up.

I was thinking of doing the following:

Run the frag system as an independent system but hook up a Neptune DOS to continuously change water daily from the main display to the frag system.

If I do that I wouldn’t need all of the equipment for the frag system and could likely get away with a return pump, wave maker and a heater.

Anyone ever tried this before?

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question brings back memories. In 2019, just before Refapalooza, Anaheim I connected two tanks. A third, old tank, became the sump. Yes, very DIY. I pumped into one tank, siphoned back into the second, and then down to the sump. I installed dual siphon tubes for redundancy. My six line wrasse figure out pretty quick he had access to both tanks.
About that time I hired a consultant who's first comment was "NO."
Separate those two tanks before you have a 60 gallon mess on the floor!
Wisely, I took his advice, much to my six line's disappointment. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question brings back memories. In 2019, just before Refapalooza, Anaheim I connected two tanks. A third, old tank, became the sump. Yes, very DIY. I pumped into one tank, siphoned back into the second, and then down to the sump. I installed dual siphon tubes for redundancy. My six line wrasse figure out pretty quick he had access to both tanks.
About that time I hired a consultant who's first comment was "NO."
Separate those two tanks before you have a 60 gallon mess on the floor!
Wisely, I took his advice, much to my six line's disappointment. :)
LOL....that awesome.

Same but different what I was thinking.

Mine would be controlled via DOS and would be cycling water back and forth between the two systems.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see with joining the two systems is that if you develop a problem with one you now have a problem in two. Just my thoughts.

John1966

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a big (8 tank) system. Main concern is to run only 1 or 2 tanks on any one pump from the sump, and leave enough space in sump so it does not overflow if all power is lost.

Another thing is make sure nothing can get in the pipes. I have had problems with snails or fish getting into pipes or inlets and blocking flow.

Shared problems is a concern, but the large water volume gives stability and reduces number of tanks to test. Most fish stores run multi-tank systems for simplicity.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back