Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is not a big deal, also if the water is too deep you can put something under skimmer to rise it up. i really like my ESHOPPS S-300 and I like reef Octopus but that is just what I have experience with

@scott11106 I was just trying to limit amount I raise skimmer. As after 29" in height it starts pushing up into frame work. Ah well I'll figure.something out. Just figured there may be another skimmer on market with a deeper starting height. Cheers

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 for flow sensing. I just need to buy corresponding sizes I want, and just plug and play to apex? Or do i need the whole flow monitoring kit, and then that would plug into apex?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 for flow sensing. I just need to buy corresponding sizes I want, and just plug and play to apex? Or do i need the whole flow monitoring kit, and then that would plug into apex?
the flow monitoring kit is just grouping the items you will need in one box but you can just get the sizes you need and a FMM and the FMM will connect to the apex

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a schematic of your system, even something hand drawn so i can look at your plumbing plan and i would recommend an electrical plan for all things salt water as i did not do that and i had to rewire halfway through the build

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 as I'm going to get Neptune Apex new generation complete package. I will get the FMM for all my flow sensors then. Couple questions.
1- does FMM come with corisponding cable to connect to Apex or is that separate?
2- Just cause you've done it already, what cable do I need to connect a second or third EB8 to Apex, if it doesn't directly reach (I'm assuming it wont because one of them will be in my QT side)
3-optical sensors themselves are directly wired to?
4-what pump did you use for salt storage to agitate the water?
5- what heaters are you using?

I dont not have a schematic for my plumbing layout. But it will be nearly exactly like yours, as I'm a plumber by trade and have done many thing that are similar to this, minis all apex stuff. Your layout for piping is perfectly drawn so it's literally what was already in my head as far as piping layout. Also small difference with mine will be the fact I'm not using check valves because my sump will have the volume to back siphon. Another small difference is my RODI storage tank will gravity feed down to a twenty gallon that will sit beside my sump. ATO will feed off of it, and for now I'll manually fill the twenty gallon up, just to get started. And if I end up automating it, it will be a double redundancy to prevent 55gallon of RODI water from hitting display.
Electrical I havnt thought to far ahead yet, other than sheeting my wall will apex will go, to help keep it clean and neat.

Also I just thought of this, do you have a updated schematic of your plumbing with the four DOS is the mix now, and all your current equipment?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 as I'm going to get Neptune Apex new generation complete package. I will get the FMM for all my flow sensors then. Couple questions.
1- does FMM come with corisponding cable to connect to Apex or is that separate?
2- Just cause you've done it already, what cable do I need to connect a second or third EB8 to Apex, if it doesn't directly reach (I'm assuming it wont because one of them will be in my QT side)
3-optical sensors themselves are directly wired to?
4-what pump did you use for salt storage to agitate the water?
5- what heaters are you using?

I dont not have a schematic for my plumbing layout. But it will be nearly exactly like yours, as I'm a plumber by trade and have done many thing that are similar to this, minis all apex stuff. Your layout for piping is perfectly drawn so it's literally what was already in my head as far as piping layout. Also small difference with mine will be the fact I'm not using check valves because my sump will have the volume to back siphon. Another small difference is my RODI storage tank will gravity feed down to a twenty gallon that will sit beside my sump. ATO will feed off of it, and for now I'll manually fill the twenty gallon up, just to get started. And if I end up automating it, it will be a double redundancy to prevent 55gallon of RODI water from hitting display.
Electrical I havnt thought to far ahead yet, other than sheeting my wall will apex will go, to help keep it clean and neat.

Also I just thought of this, do you have a updated schematic of your plumbing with the four DOS is the mix now, and all your current equipment?
1. FMM comes with cable to apex, you will want to get a couple longer cables for running things
2. eb8's use the same aquabus cables (really just a usb cable but i am not sure if they are different so I purchased them from neptune) you can purchase longer ones to reach QT
3. opticals are wired to an FMM also (you will need multiple FMM modules)
4. you can use anything, i use a SICCE SYNCRA 4.0 PUMP 951GPH and i can put a hose on it to quckly move water if need be. i use the apex to power it on for 5min every 3 hours
5. NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE HEATER is what i started using but originally i put ATP HEATER TITANIUM 300W and they work fine too (no problems yet)

i will check and see if i have an updated plan

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 This is my finally sump/refugium design, hope to build it this weekend. I moved everything service related to the front to make it easier.

Also take a look at equipment list. What are your thoughts? Anything you think I could eliminate off this list, as its adding up quick, and I'm in most of doing entire basement aswell lol.

20190116_150413.jpg

20190116_200049.jpg

Last edited:

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as you are planning i would plan for a second eb8 as i think you will really like the ability to see power draw for everything and have the ability to turn on and off all of your equipment. it might be overkill but i literally use it daily to ensure everything is working properly by how much power it draws.
not for any particular reason but here is a snap shot of my apex dashboard;
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.40.03 AM.png

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also you will need another FMM for your optical sensors, leak detection, flow meters ect as each FMM has the ability for 4 inputs.
in addition, you may want to think if you want to have a FMM for the QT/water station area with its own leak detection, just a thought but remember i am a bit over the top with the apex gear and as you notice with my apex dashboard i even have redundancy on temp and PH for example

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also you will need another FMM for your optical sensors, leak detection, flow meters ect as each FMM has the ability for 4 inputs.
in addition, you may want to think if you want to have a FMM for the QT/water station area with its own leak detection, just a thought but remember i am a bit over the top with the apex gear and as you notice with my apex dashboard i even have redundancy on temp and PH for example

Scott I would have two EB8 to start off with, as one will come with the Apex package. One EB8 will be beside main display and sump area, and other will be back by QT area.

I will have two FMM to start with also. You think I need a third FMM? Optical sensors I plan on two in each storage tank for total of 4. And 2 in sump for a high/low. Can my sump sensors activate ATO? Sry If that's stupid question. Would I need more optical sensors? As you see my layout and what I'm trying to achieve.

@scott11106 what do you think of my equipment list aside from those couple things? Look good? I'm trying not to break the bank as my basement itself is costing a pretty penny at the same time. I plan on adding dos containers and other things later. Just trying to only get true functional items to make it flawless right of the bat. I love the redundency with extra PH probe and TEMP prob, nice

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott I would have two EB8 to start off with, as one will come with the Apex package. One EB8 will be beside main display and sump area, and other will be back by QT area.

I will have two FMM to start with also. You think I need a third FMM? Optical sensors I plan on two in each storage tank for total of 4. And 2 in sump for a high/low. Can my sump sensors activate ATO? Sry If that's stupid question. Would I need more optical sensors? As you see my layout and what I'm trying to achieve.

@scott11106 what do you think of my equipment list aside from those couple things? Look good? I'm trying not to break the bank as my basement itself is costing a pretty penny at the same time. I plan on adding dos containers and other things later. Just trying to only get true functional items to make it flawless right of the bat. I love the redundency with extra PH probe and TEMP prob, nice
ok, yes i see that the package comes with one eb8, my bad,
for FMM i would just count sensors and ATO and all inputs and that will tell you how many you need. A Apex ATO uses 2 ports of a FMM so you would have 2 open ports but the optical sensor can operate ATO but for redundancy i would get the ATO package as it comes with everything you will need except you will need 1/4" as you will be going across the room unless you are still planning the small 20 gal reservoir for ATO which really is not needed and with the apex ATO it has triple redundancy (2 sensors and a manual float) but i would add one more sensor higher up as a worst case sensor that hopefully never gets activated.

the DDR is a great touch but not needed, however i would make your plan for everything you are going to add as wiring and 1/4" tubing control can quickly become a mess.

the rest of your equipment seems to look fine

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that as i was told by neptune that they are not standard usb but they sure did look like it to me.lol

That's disappointing. What they sell may not be standard USB, but standard USB cables will work. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 do you see any other purpose that I would need more then six optical sensors? I've got my list done and my supplier is bringing in equipment. I'm doing two in RODI, Two in salt storage tank, two for sump return section.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 do you see any other purpose that I would need more then six optical sensors? I've got my list done and my supplier is bringing in equipment. I'm doing two in RODI, Two in salt storage tank, two for sump return section.
i do not see anything else that you would need one.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 what did you use for mounting optical high/low in your sump? So is there a genetic bracket or what not that they make for housing sensors? Or maybe I just make up a DIY piece of acrylic?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back