Ugh guys??? Please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a leg of a brittle starfish but im not sold on that guess.
Possibility is, like a lizards' tail, octopus leg severed can survive and a predator of small octopuses are fireworms. Is it possible. . . . . ??

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's definitely food, but technically, everything can be food if you're brave enough.

1689985789581.png

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ medium lemon
½ tablespoon minced fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 wine cork

Fill a large pot 1/2 full with water. Add 2 tablespoons kosher salt, peppercorns, and the wine cork; bring to a boil over high heat. Dip tentacles into the boiling water 3 times, holding them in the boiling water 2 to 3 seconds each time, until the tentacles curl up. Bring water back to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
Grill octopus until charred on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove from heat, slice into pieces, and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and squeeze lemon over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

grilled-octopus_4728.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my thought
Looks like a leg of a brittle starfish but im not sold on that guess.
Possibility is, like a lizards' tail, octopus leg severed can survive and a predator of small octopuses are fireworms. Is it possible. . . . . ??

Octopus can self amputate to distract a predator. You may still have a live one.

But how did it get there? Dry rock and sand.
I have heard Cthulhu has replaced Santa Claus this year and for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately his outlook is a little different.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard Cthulhu has replaced Santa Claus this year and for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately his outlook is a little different.
On a coral? Octopus fry are tiny but then it would have had to find enough food to survive and grow...

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Started small and can come in with chaeto, bag water from LFS or any given coral but still unconfirmed

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of your neighbors have tanks? Maybe they didn’t like their accommodations and decided to move into your tank in the middle of the night. They can climb in and out of tanks easily.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the OP mentioned that she feeds Rod’s Food for carnivores, that’s where the tentacles came from. Rod’s lists ingredients as whole octopus as well as squid. They also note that the food is not blended so not for corals. So big chunks.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if it came from your frozen food, how the hell would you not see that when you were feeding the fish?
Yeah that’s my point! I watched it very close as I pored their food in and didn’t see anything resembling a tentacle. I keep staring at the tank and can’t see anything! I only have one trigger that could do that due to my clown trigger being slightly bigger than a quarter at the moment. Im as such a loss!!! If it’s an octopus I want to find it before my Niger trigger gets it!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the OP mentioned that she feeds Rod’s Food for carnivores, that’s where the tentacles came from. Rod’s lists ingredients as whole octopus as well as squid. They also note that the food is not blended so not for corals. So big chunks.
Ohh really? BRS gave me 3 packs and the ingredients were un readable on the packages so I was looking at the block! I fed it just now but saw no tentacles. If that is what it is makes me feel a lot better!!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with the rods food I just break a small part off and tong feed my trigger, would have seen a tentacle in that for sure

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh really? BRS gave me 3 packs and the ingredients were un readable on the packages so I was looking at the block! I fed it just now but saw no tentacles. If that is what it is makes me feel a lot better!!
Yeah, Rod’s Herbivore Blend annoys me because whole shrimp chunks are in it and none of my fish can eat them except my 8” damsel. They definitely have bits and pieces of lots of stuff.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back