OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I did a 40% wc earlier then added nitrate reducer and its down to around 20 (liquid color test) should I wait and see if the nitrate reducer lowers it more or do another wc tomorrow?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate reducers work well I have used them. But they don't work instantly. They are basically like vodka dosing. They are time released food for the anaerobic bacteria.

The reduction is due to the water change.

If your down to 20 that's starting to look good. Test again in a few days and maybe do another one. To consistently get very low levels will take months and so you should be able to slowly add fish with nitrates at that level and as they get lower and are consistently low add corals.

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cuc should be safe to add? I would like to add it first as I am scared to turn my lights on and have an algae ridden tank with no foot soldiers to fight it...

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think that should be fine. Get them in and then start turning the lights on. If you want increase the time from a couple hours today to a full day cycle over several weeks.

I personally turned my lights on right away and dealt with the diatoms. Stirring the sand (not DSB) and a sand sifting star and turbo snails and a fighting conch are great CUC in addition to your hermits

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore tips for this noob on a sufficient crew? It's a 55g with around 40 lbs of LR

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will tell you the sand sifting star needs a bigger tank.

I've had mine in my 46g (just upgraded to 60) tank for over a year. I also have kept them well in the past so just throwing that out.

Astria snails are common so I'd mix those in too.

Some people go crazy with CUC. I personally keep a slightly smaller crew.

In my 60 I have

6 hermits (med size, 1 large)
6 astria snails
3 turbos
Sand sifting star
1 fighting conch

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the points in the right direction I know we went a little of topic but very much appreciated I guess I'll do some research before bed then head down to the lfs tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back