Under the Microscope

House of Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have fish in quarantine and have been watching them closely. The Midas Blennie had rather long stringy feces “not white” rather translucent green. Soooo being naturally curious we decided to put it under the scope. And this is what we found. So now the problem is I have no idea what I’m looking at besides the obvious.
1f602.png
Nothing is moving, that’s good right?

93E52E75-F0B8-45B9-A806-C1B6D72C26A0.jpeg E6786245-BBE2-418E-A3DD-3E12185E1B9B.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots weren’t moving at all, not even spinning in place? What I see are sheets of mucus with parasites- but although the look like ciliates of flagellates, the lack of motion is odd. Those could be eggs from worm parasites, but I doubt that as there are too many of them.
What have you treated with so far?
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
House of Fish

House of Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots weren’t moving at all, not even spinning in place? What I see are sheets of mucus with parasites- but although the look like ciliates of flagellates, the lack of motion is odd. Those could be eggs from worm parasites, but I doubt that as there are too many of them.
What have you treated with so far?
Jay
Hi Jay,

There was definitely zero movement. We have not started treatment because we wanted to observe him first. Outwardly he looks fine and is eating anything tossed at him. We have had him under observation for 4 weeks and this is the first time seeing the long stringy feces. We were wondering if we should start feeding treated food, and if so treated with what?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use oolitic sand? Could be tiny ooids in the mucus.
Good point! I thought I could see internal structures, but maybe that was just on the sand surface? It doesn’t match the feces symptoms though...

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

There was definitely zero movement. We have not started treatment because we wanted to observe him first. Outwardly he looks fine and is eating anything tossed at him. We have had him under observation for 4 weeks and this is the first time seeing the long stringy feces. We were wondering if we should start feeding treated food, and if so treated with what?
Take a look at my medicated food article posted in the articles section here. There is also a new medicated food calculator posted by a member over the weekend that is going to be huge in terms of medicated foods. I would select metronidazole as the first med to try.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
House of Fish

House of Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my medicated food article posted in the articles section here. There is also a new medicated food calculator posted by a member over the weekend that is going to be huge in terms of medicated foods. I would select metronidazole as the first med to try.
Jay
Thank you Jay, we are going to look into that.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back