Understanding Optimal Phosphate Levels

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in what is the current understanding of optimal phosphate levels or range in our reef tanks?

I started in the hobby very focused on keeping phosphates low near 0.03ppm, as most commonly recommended in the recent past. However, it seems now that several folks are agreeing that may be too low and stressing or starving corals....thoughts?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems now that several folks are agreeing that may be too low and stressing or starving corals....thoughts?

Still shooting for .03 to .05 via the use of an GFO (rowaphos) reactor, but I do feed the corals more than I did years ago.

LRS Reef Frenzy and Red Sea Reef Energy.

But, I also do not carbon dose, outside of dosing Vibrant, a few times a year.

Just one way to skin a cat, and pretty sure you'll get more post to get a feel for what others have come to.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in what is the current understanding of optimal phosphate levels or range in our reef tanks?

I started in the hobby very focused on keeping phosphates low near 0.03ppm, as most commonly recommended in the recent past. However, it seems now that several folks are agreeing that may be too low and stressing or starving corals....thoughts?

I personally think it a fine goal and I do not think it starves corals. I think the new trend is higher is OK, at least in some cases, not that higher is better.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year after the crash my tank SPS had finally seen stability and started to grow at an incredible rate. My N03 and P04 were at 15 ppm and .08. As others had done I wanted more, so I installed a sulfur denitrator and ended up tanking my tank. The point of the story is not to chase numbers, to a point corals, will adapt.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back