Unidentified black pellets on sand bed.. please help.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pellets that look alot like brs ROX carbon.. I am running that exact carbon in my system now.. I have diatoms un this new 65 gallon reef. That's 6 months old. So I got a pencil urchin and a fee snails.. I came home from work and checked the tank like I always do and I noticed these black pellets all over the sand bed.. my first thought was my bag of carbon broke in my sump.. my heart sunk to my feet because I just got a very expensive gem tang I don't want harmed in any way. So I checked the media bag and it's fine.. what could it be.. please help

OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a picture

Attachments

• 20211220_190822.jpg
    20211220_190822.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a white light pic. Blue lighting often makes any type of identification hard to do

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be pencil urchin poop or snail poop.. unless something got purposely dumped in the tank while I was at work today which is very unlikely. I've just never seen that pencil urchin poop before. But then again there's never been this much algee

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some BRS rox get loose in my tank. To remove it, I took airline tubing and ran it through ba clear plastic straw (the reusable kind) and started a siphon and went around sucking them up one by one. It was a real pain but I got it all out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I took the carbon bag out of the sump.. I made sure the zipper was zipped.. checked for holes.. even if the carbon escaped it would be all in my sump.. and there's nothing in my sump..

Upvote 0

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pellets that look alot like brs ROX carbon.. I am running that exact carbon in my system now.. I have diatoms un this new 65 gallon reef. That's 6 months old. So I got a pencil urchin and a fee snails.. I came home from work and checked the tank like I always do and I noticed these black pellets all over the sand bed.. my first thought was my bag of carbon broke in my sump.. my heart sunk to my feet because I just got a very expensive gem tang I don't want harmed in any way. So I checked the media bag and it's fine.. what could it be.. please help
It’s probably that carbon. I have some similar from my carbon in my ChemiPure blue on my sand. Haven’t had any issues, but I have also just recently noticed this.

Upvote 0

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the smallest of slits in a carbon bag or media reactor and it gets flung all over the tank. Ensure that any media is secured.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys..for responding.. that scared the crap out of me.. I just put new ROX carbon last night. So automatically I assumed that's what it was..

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back