Unknown Hitchhiker

Bluefishaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need an ID on the blue and green stuff. It's soft like jelly and keeps the lepto from growing. It is very easy to siphon out and scrape off the glass but grows back very quickly. Any ideas on what this is and what might kill it?

Unknown1.jpeg

Unknown2.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This I have not seen before. Maybe some type of bacteria if it’s slimy and jelly like. Hopefully someone else has seen this before and can help you out.

Mr. Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange. Those things are fascinating. Try a wrasse maybe, they are good for most pests.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was also curious what we’re looking at here too. After @Mr_Knightley suggested colonial tunicates I did some googling myself finding this...
Towards the bottom of this page there’s some strikingly similar examples of what might be in your tank.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely the blue and green ascidians. Any idea on how to kill them without tearing the tank apart?
So I found this Article

“Ascidians struggle in captivity enough as it is; poor water quality will only push them over the cliff. Any system that houses these delicate animals should be mature and stable and have excellent water conditions.”

So if we are right about what you have than great job on having great water! But why would you want to get rid of them? Do they seem to be bothering your corals? They could be helping keeping your water quality great.

OP
OP
Bluefishaquariums

Bluefishaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found this Article

“Ascidians struggle in captivity enough as it is; poor water quality will only push them over the cliff. Any system that houses these delicate animals should be mature and stable and have excellent water conditions.”

So if we are right about what you have than great job on having great water! But why would you want to get rid of them? Do they seem to be bothering your corals? They could be helping keeping your water quality great.
The variety in this tank grows extremely fast and inhibits the coral growth. It has overtaken a birdsnest colony.
The tunicates are probably able to survive due to the large number of well-fed fish in the system

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The variety in this tank grows extremely fast and inhibits the coral growth. It has overtaken a birdsnest colony.
The tunicates are probably able to survive due to the large number of well-fed fish in the system
I would try Removing them by hand and scraping them off of what ever you can.

Back