Upgrade to bigger tank? Do I need to cycle the new tank for 2-3 weeks first or just transfer?

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded from my 20G to 40G, I just used the water from the 20G and added 20 more gallons of new water to it. Basically just a 50% water change. But now I plan to upgrade from 40G to 125G, would that method still work or should I just cycle the 125G on its own and start fresh???

How do you guys usually do it with a big jump in water volume?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went from 50 gallons (2x25 gallon tanks) to 200 gallons I pre-cycled all the new rock I was going to add (~80lbs) for 4-6 weeks, pre-stored about 150 gallons of RODI and then mixed up all the new saltwater.

When that was done I added the live sand, the new saltwater (you could use the saltwater from your existing tank here), the cycled rock and enough Bio-Spira (pre-purchased, stored refrigerated) for 200-gallons.

Then I simply moved across the remaining rock from my smaller tanks (de-wormed), corals, fish and finally inverts. And that was that. Took me an evening.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back