Upgrading tank so now I have a lighting dilema

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all,
I am looking for some opinions on what makes the most sense.
I currently have a 4ft long 90g tank on which I am running 2 Raidon XR30 Gen 4 pros.
We are seriously considering upgrading tanks and going with the Red Sea Reefer 525XL which is a 5ft tank.

Since the tank is 5ft long I have some lighting decisions to make.
Do I just stick with my 2 Raidons and leave the ends of the tank a bit dark? (Cheapest option)
Do I search for an buy a used Raidon Gen 3Pro to add to the two I have?
Do I get a new Gen3 or 4 and update my current Gen3s to Gen4s?
Or do I just get the Red Sea LED lights that I can get with the tank.

Am I better off with the older Raidons or with the newer Red Sea Lights?

Right now the tank is pretty much softies with a few LPS and a RBTA so my lighting needs are not super high but I need at least decent lights. We have always considered adding SPS and have tried one or two but can't seem to keep them alive, though I admit that is likely more of a maintenance issue than a lighting issue.

How good are the Red Sea LEDs? I honestly don't know anything about them but there is really not that much cost difference between going with the new Red Sea lightsvs buying an additional older Raidon and upgrading all three to Gen 4s.
If I didn't do the upgrade and kept 3 gen 3s that would save me some money but in the grand scheme of things I would rather have better longer lasting lighting than to save a couple of hundred dollars when I am already spending this much.
Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to supplement your current lights with T5s. I have a 1/4 cylinder tank that is 5 feet long in the front. I run two Radion pro Gen 3 with two 48 inch T5s in the front and 2 24 T5s in the back and it works really well. I also run the diffusers on the Radions. It is on an SPS tank and getting good results.

OP
OP
Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, Now that is an option I had not considered. The ends would still have less light but the T5s would provide a decent amount with a smaller investment.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I have another option to consider.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back