URGENT - Any Lettuce sea slug / Nudibranch owners ? Need help, can’t find much of anything on them

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It does not eat bryopsis and prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae. They are referred to as lettuce nudibranch although they are not nudi but slugs. The Lettuce Sea Slug incorporates the chloroplasts (the portions of the cell responsible for photosynthesis) from the algae into its tissues, and thus relies on photosynthesis for part of its energy. Pump intakes and drains can harm the Lettuce Sea Slug, so care should be taken to screen these off. It is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications.
They feed by sucking the chlorophyll out of algae and uses it to achieve their green coloration. For their size they consume more algae than similarly sized snails and hermit crabs most of the time, but can also rely on photosynthesis at other times making them less effective cleaners. Lastly, high water flow can stress them and therefore are best under moderate water flow.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not eat bryopsis and prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae. They are referred to as lettuce nudibranch although they are not nudi but slugs. The Lettuce Sea Slug incorporates the chloroplasts (the portions of the cell responsible for photosynthesis) from the algae into its tissues, and thus relies on photosynthesis for part of its energy. Pump intakes and drains can harm the Lettuce Sea Slug, so care should be taken to screen these off. It is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications.
They feed by sucking the chlorophyll out of algae and uses it to achieve their green coloration. For their size they consume more algae than similarly sized snails and hermit crabs most of the time, but can also rely on photosynthesis at other times making them less effective cleaners. Lastly, high water flow can stress them and therefore are best under moderate water flow.
If they don’t eat bryopsis what kind of algae they eat?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If they don’t eat bryopsis what kind of algae they eat?
The film often found on live rock and glass. For GHA. . . Snails such as Turbo grazer, astrea, nerite, trochus and pin cushion urchin

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but I’ve read this on a few websites I’ve purchased them from over the last several months, however I need more specific type of algae such as folks are suggesting they have seen there’s eating such algae like bryopsis as we do not have traditional live rock. We are using a canister filter and it has one inlet, the suction is not strong and have witness them crawling across the intake with no issue, however we have since wrapped the intake with chaeto just to be on the safer side of things. I do believe we did not feed it correctly as it slowly lost its color and shrunk. We’ve been researching with failed results and recently found this reef2reef and have asked questions here with great results. Our lights are about 100par @ 22” deep, should that be sufficient? I do not know very much about lighting and it is an LED setup. They do move around most of the day but have yet seen them actually consume much, they have preferred the Mexican and prolifia macros over the chaeto and dragons tongue. Folks are suggesting bryopsis, ulva and sea lettuce.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but I’ve read this on a few websites I’ve purchased them from over the last several months, however I need more specific type of algae such as folks are suggesting they have seen there’s eating such algae like bryopsis as we do not have traditional live rock. We are using a canister filter and it has one inlet, the suction is not strong and have witness them crawling across the intake with no issue, however we have since wrapped the intake with chaeto just to be on the safer side of things. I do believe we did not feed it correctly as it slowly lost its color and shrunk. We’ve been researching with failed results and recently found this reef2reef and have asked questions here with great results. Our lights are about 100par @ 22” deep, should that be sufficient? I do not know very much about lighting and it is an LED setup. They do move around most of the day but have yet seen them actually consume much, they have preferred the Mexican and prolifia macros over the chaeto and dragons tongue. Folks are suggesting bryopsis, ulva and sea lettuce.
Ulva and sea lettuce are the same thing haha

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Red light/red hue promotes algae , just be careful on how much is being produced so that you dont get overwhelmed with GHA. Bryopsis is a thick, non chlorophyl type of green and likely not a food source.
To correct myself- They DO eat Green hair algae (I said dont) and use snails if amount gets to be too much.

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva and sea lettuce are the same thing haha
Too funny
Red light/red hue promotes algae , just be careful on how much is being produced so that you dont get overwhelmed with GHA. Bryopsis is a thick, non chlorophyl type of green and likely not a food source.
To correct myself- They DO eat Green hair algae (I said dont) and use snails if amount gets to be too much.
i do see them hitchhike on snails here and there. The crawl all over the tank mostly during daylight hours my guess due to photosynthesis. Just unsure why our first one ended up dying and would rather not loose our others. It seemed to be a slow process as we’ve had it a couple months it wasn’t like we added it and it died in a few days or a week. But we did try and research why it slowly changed colors and shrunk with no luck. Hoping to figure out the cause in the case it was something we are doing incorrectly for them.

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PokeFish what algae can you throw together for me including some ulva and maybe even some gha if folks have seen them eat it. I don’t think we have any the more I look I think it’s more cyno
Don’t forget bryopsis too if they decided that’s what y’all have ? Lol let me know appreciate it.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pretty much exclusively eat bryopsis and will ignore all others.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back