Uronema on new Copperband?

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this Copperband in from Dr. Reef and it was in pretty bad shape in the bag. Laying on its side with heavy respirations. When I finally finished acclimation and added it to the tank, I noticed this red coloration at the base of his fin and below. Does this look like uronema to you?

I’ve also moved him to my quarantine system in the garage for closer observation since noticing this.

Thanks.

E0255D3A-3C84-4BBF-8105-21D6E731DB26.jpeg B9B3D304-9217-4A01-A41E-2B5D98C14029.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO offense to Dr Reef - yes - that is poor condition. I would contact them - and ask for a replacement - or their recommendations. And - yes -it is an odd position for Uronema - but it looks like it visually (note I'm not saying it is - just answering your question - it looks like it)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After thinking a bit - was there a shipping delay? Or any problem with acclimation? IDK how Dr Reef keeps his fish (i.e. SG/Salinity)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got this Copperband in from Dr. Reef and it was in pretty bad shape in the bag. Laying on its side with heavy respirations. When I finally finished acclimation and added it to the tank, I noticed this red coloration at the base of his fin and below. Does this look like uronema to you?

I’ve also moved him to my quarantine system in the garage for closer observation since noticing this.

Thanks.

E0255D3A-3C84-4BBF-8105-21D6E731DB26.jpeg B9B3D304-9217-4A01-A41E-2B5D98C14029.jpeg
Looks like a bacterial development from an injury from netting which is bruise-like and if fish is Not distressed and perks up can be treated with seachem Kanaplex however according to pic- it looks moribund and will likely have a low chance of survival. Increase oxygen with air stone but in this state, not much you can do but wait for improvement if any chance of. Hope for the best but prepare for the worse
This if was pre-existing is unacceptable and do send these pics to shipper and file a claim ASAP as most vendors allow a two window upon arrival

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking a bit - was there a shipping delay? Or any problem with acclimation? IDK how Dr Reef keeps his fish (i.e. SG/Salinity)
No delays, as far as I know. Fish shipped in 1.022 SG and slowly brought him up to my tank’s SG of 1.026 using the acclimation method they recommended. I’m assuming he had this in transport, but unsure. I just noticed he was very stressed and laying on side in the transport bag, but didn’t take note of the discoloration until he was placed in the tank.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial development from an injury from netting which is bruise-like and if fish is Not distressed and perks up can be treated with seachem Kanaplex however according to pic- it looks moribund and will likely have a low chance of survival. Increase oxygen with air stone but in this state, not much you can do but wait for improvement if any chance of. Hope for the best but prepare for the worse
Thanks for the reply. He’s in my observation tank with the airstone cranked up so hopefully he pulls through.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for checking this thread and offering another set of eyes.

Unfortunately he did not last longer than an hour or two. I know Dr. Reef is pretty good when it comes to this sort of thing (from firsthand experience) so I will be getting in touch with him. Still unfortunate.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

Sorry to see!

Do you have any idea as to the shipping time for this fish? I'm not a strong proponent for "overnight" shipments that end up taking 30+ hours, the results this time of year are so poor if the fish are being shipped south to north.

I can't say if this is ammonia burn or Uronema, visually, there really isn't a good way to tell the two issues apart.

Jay

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see!

Do you have any idea as to the shipping time for this fish? I'm not a strong proponent for "overnight" shipments that end up taking 30+ hours, the results this time of year are so poor if the fish are being shipped south to north.

I can't say if this is ammonia burn or Uronema, visually, there really isn't a good way to tell the two issues apart.

Jay
Shipped via UPS Next Day Air from Tulsa, OK to Florida . Received the email for tracking Wednesday night around 7 PM and it arrived this morning around 10 AM. It was supposed to be shipped out on Monday but there was some sort of issue with the plane and they told me it’d be delayed. Sounded like the issue was known before they brought it to the airport, but I’m not sure exactly. I didn’t receive tracking info until last night so I assume this was the case and it didn’t board a plane until yesterday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped via UPS Next Day Air from Tulsa, OK to Florida . Received the email for tracking Wednesday night around 7 PM and it arrived this morning around 10 AM. It was supposed to be shipped out on Monday but there was some sort of issue with the plane and they told me it’d be delayed. Sounded like the issue was known before they brought it to the airport, but I’m not sure exactly. I didn’t receive tracking info until last night so I assume this was the case and it didn’t board a plane until yesterday.

O.K,, sounds like shipping time wasn't the issue, thanks.

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back