Uronema????

Scorpion44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This afternoon I came home and my trigger was showing a white film on one of his sides. After closer look there is a large area the white film was surrounding. Is this Uronema? He’s certainly not swimming normally and won’t eat. I’ve removed him from the tank into a hospital tank. But I need help diagnosing what’s on him so I can have a plan for the display tank.

IMG_8388.jpeg IMG_8390.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This afternoon I came home and my trigger was showing a white film on one of his sides. After closer look there is a large area the white film was surrounding. Is this Uronema? He’s certainly not swimming normally and won’t eat. I’ve removed him from the tank into a hospital tank. But I need help diagnosing what’s on him so I can have a plan for the display tank.

IMG_8388.jpeg IMG_8390.jpeg
Doesnt seem so but rather rash and Very likely from many triggers dive-bombing into rock structures as they spook easily then lock themselves within rocks especially at night. There is likely a favorite hiding spot in the tank for this guy and assure the openings are large enough for it or this will continue.
Have you seen fish scratching itself against objects?
If area worsens, you will have to treat in a separate tank with seachem Kanaplex

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like an injury - have a low threshold for spread/worsening. How long has it been in your tank? Any other new additions?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen Uronema on a triggerfish. It looks like a bacterial infection, but could also be some other protozoan. The fish not eating means that it is a systemic infection and is very serious.
Is the fish breathing fast?

OP
OP
Scorpion44

Scorpion44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately the trigger ended up expiring that night. The white film ended up taking over the entire side of his body quickly. And then I spent the weekend disinfecting the hospital tank and doing a couple of heavy water changes in all my tanks as a precaution. To answer some questions, he, along with a purple tang were the last additions to the tank back in September. He never showed signs of scratching against anything. He would tuck himself away on one of NSA ledges for the night, but was always active and a good eater whenever I fed the tank. The spot he most frequently stayed in was tucked away and low enough that his belly would rest on the gravel. But the injury/infection started on the top by the dorsal fin. Every other day would be a mix of mysis and spirulina shrimp, some rod's food meat occasionally, and krill. Opposing days the tank would get some nori. The tank is a little over a year old. Moving forward I think I'll have some antibiotics on hand just in case. Once the injury/infection was noticeable it spread and took over the fish pretty quickly. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back