Used - Live rock

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, someone give me their live rock that used to be in their system (Fiji rock?).
I breached and power washed them. However, they still look "dirty". I still see some yellow and black tint on them as well as dead coral encrusted on them.
Is this safe and worth using on my new system (I'm moving from 10 to 32 gallons)?
Should I start with new rocks? I don't want to run into some issues later on. Let me know your thoughts.

PXL_20220217_223328087.jpg PXL_20220217_223333050.jpg PXL_20220217_223337836.jpg PXL_20220217_223344779.jpg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use seaklear to make sure the phosphate is out. That’s the only thing I would be concerned about at this point.

This thread below gives examples of how to do it.

OP
OP
S

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will follow your steps in that post.
I want to confirm, you don't see any problem with dead coral on the rock right?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have been bleached and powerwashed any solids on the rock that could significantly impact parameters should be gone and of no concern. As @ApoIsland indicated though phosphates would be primary concern. Other possible issues could be contamination from things like copper..and that would be the main one i may worry about if i dont know the rock came from a healthy reef tank.

OP
OP
S

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know it came from a healthy reef but they have been sitting in a bin rotting for awhile before I got them.
For preventative, is there anything I can use to remove copper?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have been bleached and powerwashed any solids on the rock that could significantly impact parameters should be gone and of no concern. As @ApoIsland indicated though phosphates would be primary concern. Other possible issues could be contamination from things like copper..and that would be the main one i may worry about if i dont know the rock came from a healthy reef tank.
ahhhhh. I totally forgot about the copper. good catch.

Op - If some goofball dumped a bunch of copper meds in the tank then you could run cuprisorb to get it out.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always run the cuprisorb after you get the tank setup if you are having problems and an ICP test comes back positive for that. Copper / other heavy metals is usually a non issue.

on the other hand cuprisorb is so cheap you might just run it anyway. I would do it after the tank is setup though as a preventative measure.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice score. Clean up as posted above and cycle it. Reefs in nature are mostly built upon years and years of dead coral skeleton, so you are good there unless you don't like the look.

OP
OP
S

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeeperz - That's make sense, I'm not picky. Eventually, they will be covered by coral anyway. This way they don't go to waste.
thanks for making me feel better about reusing them

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the rocks should be completely white when you are done. I let my rocks soak in bleach for 2-3 days, then soaked in vinegar for another 2-3 days, then sat in rodi water for a week, the rocks were snow white when I was done.

OP
OP
S

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting them to turn all white as well. Yesterday, I soaked them again in bleach. I can try soaking them in vinegar after.

OP
OP
S

Sirrtuan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to start over. I will add vinegar bath in n between bleach and Seaklear. I will deal with copper at the end. Hopefully this will prevent all the problems.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back