Used MP10 or New Nero 3 for my tank?

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a used mp-10qd for $125. I have one the new UNS dual marine 9 gallon peninsula tanks. Should I get the mp-10 or just get a new nero 3? I see the Nero's going for $179 at my LFS I think.

Planning to run the either pump in the back right on the side glass flowing behind the aquascape.

IMG_2200.jpeg

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp10 will probably be too much for that tank. I believe the Nero 3 has a slimmer profile and would probably be the better choice.

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp10 will probably be too much for that tank. I believe the Nero 3 has a slimmer profile and would probably be the better choice.
This is from google and why I had considered it for my tank.

"The MP10 is a small but powerful pump designed specifically for nano-reef aquariums. It is ideal for tanks from 2.5 to 50 gallons tanks and it creates gentle flows of 200 to 1,575 gallons per hour, helping the tanks feel more like the ocean."

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from google and why I had considered it for my tank.

"The MP10 is a small but powerful pump designed specifically for nano-reef aquariums. It is ideal for tanks from 2.5 to 50 gallons tanks and it creates gentle flows of 200 to 1,575 gallons per hour, helping the tanks feel more like the ocean."
That might be somewhat old as mp10 is rated up to 2500 gph, but it does go down to 200gph. I think you’d really only be able to run it on the back wall since it’s a peninsula and in the lowest gph setting.

On the side walls I feel like you’d end up with some pretty buck wild flow.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the MP10qd was released 10 years ago. Be sure to check the manufacture date, and if you can, ask about wet side and dry side noise or issues. You might need to replace bearings or some other creative repairs, or purchase a new wet side. If you're considering the Nero, you could consider Jebao SLW series for under $100.

Personally, I ran an MP10wqd on my 5 gallon filterless reef at the lowest setting without issue. There was a gentle current visible from the surface and the LPS corals responded favorably.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back