UV-A / Blacklight Tank Lighting in Shorter Wavelengths

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've been going down a lighting spectrum rabbit hole recently. Seems there's not really a consensus on ideal, holistic, spectrum to use.... And what intensities to have varying spectrums at (although lots of good info out there).

One sub-question in the lighting spectrum discussion I've been thinking about is regarding the shorter wavelength UV-A lighting spectrum (i.e. sub 380nm...). Yes, I know that UV light can be dangerous. I also know that there is not really robust evidence on whether UV light can facilitate the biological processes of coral/zoX in any meaningful way. And that UV light from the sun is filtered out in the ocean in substantially shallower water than blue. I also know that many LEDs are marketed as UV but are actually technically Violet or do not include substantial UV light.

That said, LED technology has progressed in a palpable way. I know that functional UV-A LED lights in these spectrums are available and have seen them. Additionally, MH bulbs as I understand it emitted substantial UV-A lighting that is potentially not matched by current LEDs (although there were fixtures to mitigate the extent of this emission).

Long story short - It seems the popular LEDs on the market only go as low as ~395nm. Why is it that we are stopping there? Can you get better fluorescence / colors by having even shorter wavelength UV lighting?

Has anyone tried sticking 365 nm LED lights above acros and seeing what happens?

Appreciate any discussion. Thanks.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably would get more traction in the lighting forum, although this has already been discussed a lot there.
Again, thank you for the response.

Could you by chance refer me to threads where specifically LED spectrums of exclusively sub 380 nm are discussed? I am having difficulties finding these discussions.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back