UV and amino acids

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I have a large Deltec 80w UV plumbed in line with the return which should be producing something like 80.000 microwattts/sec/sq.cm.

Should I turn it off when dosing coral supplements such as Aminoacids, Vitamins, fatty acids or other supplements?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more strongly absorbing amino acids are much more likely to be degraded than others, but I think shutting it off for a while might be desirable:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1184926/

Photons of 254nm. u.v. light, 60Co γ-rays and 1Mev electrons produce different patterns of destruction of individual amino acids in dried films of trypsin and in the corresponding amino acid mixture. For example, in the amino acid mixture u.v. light destroys tyrosine, tryptophan and cystine, whereas in trypsin only cystine is disrupted but with 10 times the initial yield. Further, in the amino acid mixture loss of half-cystine is a simple exponential function of dose, but in trypsin there appear to be two exponential components of the loss with yields that differ by a factor of 35. Both the γ-rays and electrons destroy half-cystine, tryptophan, histidine and methionine in the amino acid mixture with remarkably high yields, whereas in trypsin doses that destroy almost all of the enzymic activity produce no detectable destruction of amino acid residues. These marked differences between the two preparations show that the radiation-sensitivity of a given amino acid alone and in a protein is different, and suggests that in trypsin there is fairly extensive migration of energy, charge or both with localization of damage at specific sites determined by this enzyme's internal organization. All three types of radiation produce appreciable amounts of `damaged' (not completely inactivated) molecules which are prevented from reassuming an active configuration by the addition of 5·5m-urea; thiol reagents have a similar effect after bombardment with u.v. light or electrons. The patterns of destruction produced by γ-rays and by electrons in both the amino acid mixture and in trypsin are different (some of the yields vary by a factor of 30). This result appears to be inconsistent with the popular belief that most of the energy absorbed from γ-rays is associated with very-high-energy electrons.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more strongly absorbing amino acids are much more likely to be degraded than others, but I think shutting it off for a while might be desirable:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1184926/

Photons of 254nm. u.v. light, 60Co γ-rays and 1Mev electrons produce different patterns of destruction of individual amino acids in dried films of trypsin and in the corresponding amino acid mixture. For example, in the amino acid mixture u.v. light destroys tyrosine, tryptophan and cystine, whereas in trypsin only cystine is disrupted but with 10 times the initial yield. Further, in the amino acid mixture loss of half-cystine is a simple exponential function of dose, but in trypsin there appear to be two exponential components of the loss with yields that differ by a factor of 35. Both the γ-rays and electrons destroy half-cystine, tryptophan, histidine and methionine in the amino acid mixture with remarkably high yields, whereas in trypsin doses that destroy almost all of the enzymic activity produce no detectable destruction of amino acid residues. These marked differences between the two preparations show that the radiation-sensitivity of a given amino acid alone and in a protein is different, and suggests that in trypsin there is fairly extensive migration of energy, charge or both with localization of damage at specific sites determined by this enzyme's internal organization. All three types of radiation produce appreciable amounts of `damaged' (not completely inactivated) molecules which are prevented from reassuming an active configuration by the addition of 5·5m-urea; thiol reagents have a similar effect after bombardment with u.v. light or electrons. The patterns of destruction produced by γ-rays and by electrons in both the amino acid mixture and in trypsin are different (some of the yields vary by a factor of 30). This result appears to be inconsistent with the popular belief that most of the energy absorbed from γ-rays is associated with very-high-energy electrons.

Thank you so much for such a thorough answer! Have to pick up my jaw from the floor now [emoji16]

nycfishncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have been running uv constant since everyone in this thread was a stain on the mattress . The pro’s WAY WAY out list the cons on running a uv or not and no reason to shut it off at all. What is important is that u have the right flow to match your make and model. And make sure your uv not a cheap ebay piece of **** and can kill saltwater protozoan. IE aqua ultraviolet or pentair. No reason to put a pond UV on the tank unless u keeping koi. Get the corals to live long first then worry if they reproducing enough

Just my 3 cents what do l know anyway

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of a uv, for my system (not sure if any benefit for me and I don’t want kill the bacteria I am driving with organic carbon dosing) but I know many people use and like them. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back