UV Sterilizer

Oroborous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers. I trying to figure out what to go for here. I have a 90 gallon tank and i wanted to add a UV sterilizer, or rather replace it since i broke a piece off it. I had a Coralife 12x Turbotwist that worked out well for me and it kept my tank from algae outbreaks, no fish sickness as well. It went out few weeks ago and i started to see algae taking over. I am also seeing the red algae spreading and i do water changes every 2 weeks. I using Radion pro's 3rd gen and running at 35%. So the question is do i go with Coralife Turbotwist or the PENTAIR AQUATICS SMART UV? Is there a huge difference between the two and why would you choose one over the other?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have to have the UV to prevent algae. I would double check phosphate and maybe consider adding some dr tims waste away.

However, I am not saying that you shouldn't get a UV. You seem to have good success with and the less we change how our tanks run typically the better. Between those, I would go with whichever is bigger. If the coralife works for you then go with that. If you wanna try something different, it seems the pentair is a nice choice.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pentair is SOOooo huge! I have to return mine. I hate to have to go with a coralife or an aqua because I like how the pentair is highly reviewed and recommended by BRStv. So based on this post, did you say the coralife went out on you? As in its not working anymore? For how long did you have it for?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lifegard aquatics QL-25 I’ve been happy with. Been using it for about 5 years. Just replace the bulb every year. I use it for water clarity.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer, yes, there is a huge difference (physically the Pentair is massive by comparison). Price wise, there is also a massive difference. Performance-wise? No clue. I never used one of the less expensive units and decided on just going with the Pentair (40w for my setup). I have nothing bad to say about the product but I also have a basement fish room so the large size isn't an issue for me.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer, yes, there is a huge difference (physically the Pentair is massive by comparison). Price wise, there is also a massive difference. Performance-wise? No clue. I never used one of the less expensive units and decided on just going with the Pentair (40w for my setup). I have nothing bad to say about the product but I also have a basement fish room so the large size isn't an issue for me.
I just ordered it and am going to figure out the plumbing as I go. I may end up Plumbing it to the back of my display mounted to my concrete behind it. Should be fun to learn the plumbing along the way. Glad to hear its done good for you. This is why I want it. I never hear anything back about Pentair. Just its size. I wonder if a smaller pentair would still be useful on my tank. When the description says use for I.E 100 gallons or less. Does that mean total water volume or DT volume?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two 40 watt pentairs on a 180, I love them, they are huge.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you plumb this>?
I have 1 pump in my sump that pushes water to my gfo and carbon reactors, my bio pellet reactor, and the Uv sterilizer. I have black flexible tubing going in, and pvc plumbed (with a union swing valve to prevent back flow) back to the return pump section of the sump.

45331B44-D70B-4678-84F8-8CF25C4514B3.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back