Vegetables in a Reef tank

bubbasguppies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So two weeks ago the wife and I went up to Atlanta to check out "The Fish Store" and see what they available for stock when it came to drygoods and livestock. Was pretty impressive but way over priced from what I could have gotten things for at "High Tide" in Tallahassee. But this is my question.....in the tanks up in ATL we saw that there were 1/4rd cucumbers. Is there any benefit to adding it to the tank? I only ask as the owner says he's got employees from the Georgia Aquarium working there.

IForgotpants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of fish like to eat the cucumbers. I've never feed my salt fish them but my fancy plecos in my fresh water setups to nuts for them.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clip thin cuts of zucchini to my tank for the veggies in my tank. Sailfin blenny and bristletooth tang seem to enjoy. From what I've read (can't remember where now) zucchini is preferred over cucumbers for "nutritional value"

3dvice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clip thin cuts of zucchini to my tank for the veggies in my tank. Sailfin blenny and bristletooth tang seem to enjoy. From what I've read (can't remember where now) zucchini is preferred over cucumbers for "nutritional value"

Yeah cucumber only has about half the nutrient density of zucchini. If you're going to put any land based veg in the tank though spinach is by far the best and over 4x the nutrients of zucchini plus Tangs love it.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah cucumber only has about half the nutrient density of zucchini. If you're going to put any land based veg in the tank though spinach is by far the best and over 4x the nutrients of zucchini plus Tangs love it.
Oh? I may try spinach. Tang and Blenny seem to prefer the regular algae sheets over the zucchini, but I have some snails that really love the stuff

tank bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to saltwater, but I think zucchini & remain lettass
are very nutritious.
I have had a problem with my cycling my new nano tank, 6 weeks
& I still have too high ammonia, after many water changes & 4
bottles of micro bacteria, can't think of what I may be doing wrong.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back