Velvet infected equipment?

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so about a month ago I noticed my clowns had velvet. Took them out, setup a quarantine, and treated with copper. One died and one lived. I had the tank in the same room as my DT and have been using the bucket I used for the initial transfer of water for doing water changes in the DT. I had marked the start of my fallow period the day I took the fish out but since I have used some of the same equipment on both tanks ,( dropper for salinity and ammonia testing). Let me clarify about the bucket thing, I didn't use the same bucket for water changes on both tanks, I moved the QT and I used the bucket to transfer the water from the QT. That bucket had not come into contact with that water since then but I have been using it to refill my DT. I did not think about this until now but should I technically get a new bucket and start my fallow period over? Should I start it over after having used that dropper again also? I've since sold the clown because I didn't want to maintain a second tank. Should I say the fallow period started when I got rid of the clown meaning that none of my equipment has been in contact with a fish? What I'm concerned about is the cysts being in the bucket and reappearing in the tank every time I do a water change. They can live encysted without water right? I'm at a loss of what to do because I want it to be completely clear even if I have to wait awhile longer. Sorry for this being long and probably not making much since. Any help is appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay so about a month ago I noticed my clowns had velvet. Took them out, setup a quarantine, and treated with copper. One died and one lived. I had the tank in the same room as my DT and have been using the bucket I used for the initial transfer of water for doing water changes in the DT. I had marked the start of my fallow period the day I took the fish out but since I have used some of the same equipment on both tanks ,( dropper for salinity and ammonia testing). Let me clarify about the bucket thing, I didn't use the same bucket for water changes on both tanks, I moved the QT and I used the bucket to transfer the water from the QT. That bucket had not come into contact with that water since then but I have been using it to refill my DT. I did not think about this until now but should I technically get a new bucket and start my fallow period over? Should I start it over after having used that dropper again also? I've since sold the clown because I didn't want to maintain a second tank. Should I say the fallow period started when I got rid of the clown meaning that none of my equipment has been in contact with a fish? What I'm concerned about is the cysts being in the bucket and reappearing in the tank every time I do a water change. They can live encysted without water right? I'm at a loss of what to do because I want it to be completely clear even if I have to wait awhile longer. Sorry for this being long and probably not making much since. Any help is appreciated.
If the equipment has been allowed to dry for at least 3-4 weeks, they should be dead, not dormant. Velvet is flagellates and dont have the long cycle like protozoans. You can sterilze equipment used with a vinegar/water solution or citric acid. Keep in mind, we leave equipment in with a fallow period and it turns out well

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that makes sense. I did forget to mention that I'm almost positive they had ich also. That would change things right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay that makes sense. I did forget to mention that I'm almost positive they had ich also. That would change things right?
Again, sterilizing with the solutions mentioned will help as will a dryout period. Be sure always to identify any issue at hand for proper treatment needs and assessments.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which are you concerned about - the tank or the bucket?

If the bucket - I would use a disinfecting bleach solution of tap water overnight - followed by rinsing and if still concerned about chlorine, adding thiosulfate. Ich can survive drying, velvet cannot (at least according to my sources).

If the tank, the fallow period starts the time you took out the last fish - and is 60-76 days depending on what protocol you want to follow. Some use warmer water and an even shorter period (45 days) - however if there are invertebrates in the tank, raising the temp isn't a good option.

As @vetteguy53081 said - one of the key points is knowing what disease you had. Was it Brook, Ich, velvet or something else?

Please feel free to ask any other questions!

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry just saw this. I'm pretty sure they had both at one time or another because one had ich and the other had velvet. My thinking was that once I got rid of the fish from the actual tank then I could start the fallow period but after doing more research I realized that it can transfer via aerosol or maybe even pipette that was used to put water on my refractometer. So would it be safe to assume that once the fish has left my care entirely then the fallow period could start? Or everytime I use said pipette I may have reintroduced ich or velvt cysts that were dormant to my tank. That's what's confusing to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back