Velvet or brook?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apologies - in my mind - I was seeing another clownfish that clearly had ICH when I made my answer to @Lavey29. I agree that the pictures shown above look like brook. I have not seen it kill 'a fish every day' . In any case - what I was talking to Lacey about was this "If it looks like they are covered in powder dust it's brook." to me thats a description of velvet. The mucus/skin peeling is indeed consistent with broolynella. Again - I was thinking about a different thread. I am curious @Jay Hemdal - from a history standpoint, have you seen a tank with these types of fish that the OP mentioned dying 1 after another from brook? "2 clown, 1 Midas, 1 tang and 1 helfrichi died one after another". The clowns, yes. I'm just curious - how often brook wipes out a tank similar to velvet?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies - in my mind - I was seeing another clownfish that clearly had ICH when I made my answer to @Lavey29. I agree that the pictures shown above look like brook. I have not seen it kill 'a fish every day' . In any case - what I was talking to Lacey about was this "If it looks like they are covered in powder dust it's brook." to me thats a description of velvet. The mucus/skin peeling is indeed consistent with broolynella. Again - I was thinking about a different thread. I am curious @Jay Hemdal - from a history standpoint, have you seen a tank with these types of fish that the OP mentioned dying 1 after another from brook? "2 clown, 1 Midas, 1 tang and 1 helfrichi died one after another". The clowns, yes. I'm just curious - how often brook wipes out a tank similar to velvet?
It wiped out mine in 48 hours like 5 fish. Which included clowns. Tang. Gramma, and firefish. Wrasses survived somehow.

OP
OP
codenfx

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive learned a lot reading here. They started from the head and spread to the body, not rapidly but within a day to couple days. At the time I didn’t think much of it until the first clown I’ve lost had white coated mucus peeling off. That’s when I noticed the other fish were having the same issue. They all start on the head, then body and color turns pale, eventually stops eating and stays in a spot. I’ll be more prepared next time on the treatment when I see these symptoms. I did a 3 min freshwater dip on the clown in the pic but it was way too late as it passed about an hour after the dip.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25ml of 3 Percent peroxide per cup of tank water for 30 min and then into quarantine may buy you some time.

If you have any fish left that is :(

OP
OP
codenfx

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25ml of 3 Percent peroxide per cup of tank water for 30 min and then into quarantine may buy you some time.

If you have any fish left that is :(
Still have 2 wrasse and a diamond goby. Looking at them closely, no signs of symptoms. They’re swimming and eating as normal. Going to attempt to take them out. it’ll be tough as I have a lot of rocks. I’m trying to avoid tearing it down, there’s a bunch of corals on it but I may have to as a last resort. I’m afraid I may stress the corals out and another issue could happen.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have 2 wrasse and a diamond goby. Looking at them closely, no signs of symptoms. They’re swimming and eating as normal. Going to attempt to take them out. it’ll be tough as I have a lot of rocks. I’m trying to avoid tearing it down, there’s a bunch of corals on it but I may have to as a last resort. I’m afraid I may stress the corals out and another issue could happen.
Some fish seem to weather the brook disease better then others. My 2 wrasses never got symptoms or treatment.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back