Very high iron and manganese

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just did an icp test and my mangan and iron levels are very high!
Are these dangerous levels, because even with a big water change they will remain high?.Or can I let them settle down alone?
I suspect that it come from the balling light trace elements as I try the american style method where you double the dose of trace elements ,maybe it was to much?
I stopp it yesterday.
I use also 3 days prior the icp the ez carbon from dsr to reduce the nitrate and phosphates wich contain iron, but i use it just 3 days so I think it could not be this.
I not think that it is rust as mangan went up same time and I changed nothing in the aquarium and no see material problems.
What can I do?

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capture d’écran 2022-01-29 101121.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is dangerous. Red Sea actually recommends dosing to far higher levels of iron, though I do not.

Without dosing it is certainly unusual to see manganese elevated.

Manganese can be in metal parts too. Make sure you have none in the water.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is dangerous. Red Sea actually recommends dosing to far higher levels of iron, though I do not.

Thanks for the advice Randy I checked all my sand I found a screw from the radions in my tank! Don't know how it came here, but it is probably the explanation .two weeks ago I had suddenly brown jelly on the euphyllia and stn on some accropora, I was thinking that it was the new added bio pellets that triggered this but probably it was a heavy metals intoxication.

DrugMonkeyRX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just did an icp test and my mangan and iron levels are very high!
Are these dangerous levels, because even with a big water change they will remain high?.Or can I let them settle down alone?
I suspect that it come from the balling light trace elements as I try the american style method where you double the dose of trace elements ,maybe it was to much?
I stopp it yesterday.
I use also 3 days prior the icp the ez carbon from dsr to reduce the nitrate and phosphates wich contain iron, but i use it just 3 days so I think it could not be this.
I not think that it is rust as mangan went up same time and I changed nothing in the aquarium and no see material problems.
What ca=
what salt are you using?

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The iron and iodine I can bring them back with a 60% water change but the manganese not, there is a way to bring it down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I will try poly filter thanks!

Just bear in mind that metal binders should not be used willy nilly. They will bind high metals an low metals, and possibly make a deficiency of something else worse.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bear in mind that metal binders should not be used willy nilly. They will bind high metals an low metals, and possibly make a deficiency of something else worse.
Ok I will be carefull but i can make add the deficient metalls after I checked with the icp

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back