Vinegar dosing week 8! NO3 still high! tank revamp.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 6 months I have been revamping an old mud system tank total water volume 140 gal. It has been fish only / LR for 8 years

6 months ago:
-pulled 2/3 eco mud out. It was in there for 14 years.
-10 gallon water change

5 months
-10 gallon water change

4 months
-10 gallon water change

3 Months ago
-Pulled rest of the mud out and installed a new to me reef dynamics 180 skimmer
-15 gallon water change

2 Months ago
- pulled 33% of old gravel out and replaced with fiji pink live 1/2" deep 20lbs
- pulled 40% of rock out to do gravel change and scrubbed rock with a brush in old tank water, put rock back in
- 24 gallon water change
- Started Vodka dosing/MB7
- NO3 100 (sailfert) PH 8.1 (sailfert) Alk 10.2 (sailfert) temp 81, 1.026 on the refractometer (calibrated)
- Started BRS activated carbon and A Cup of phosguard in a sock.

6 weeks ago
- remaining bio balls removed approximately 3 pint glasses worth.
- PO4 at .5
- switched to tropic marin pro reef salt from IO. 20 gallon water change
- Removed 20% more Gravel / Replaced with sea floor special grade live 1/2" 12 lbs
- Scrubbed remaining rock on that 1/2 of the tank in salt water and returned to tank
- Alk 9.0 (sailfert), NO3 100, PO4 .34 (hanna) PH 8.1 temp 81

4 weeks ago
- continuing with vodka as per chart.
- noticed some dino's. Started H2O2 1ml per gallon, 8 day dose, three day black out, continued vodka and MB7.
- NO3 100
- New reef keeper light! Temp 79.2

3 weeks ago
- end of black out PO4 .62 (as to be expected) Tank looked great. slowly got lights on to full cycle 1pm 2x B+. 3pm add 2 more B+, purple + and 6700k, on till 10pm. 10pm thru 12 am 2x B+.
- NO3 100
- All new filters and DI Resin in my BRS RO/DI Unit. Still using the old membrane 75 gal. TDS 0 in an 0 out of the DI.
- Sucked out 35% more old gravel (crushed coral 15 years in the tank. only 15% left in the tank) it was gross. 20 gallon water change. Backed the skimmer down a bit due to not wanting dino's back

2 weeks ago switched to Vinegar!
- 35 ML vinegar upped to 50ML
- cleaned back glass and siphoned scrapings into a filter sock
- NO3 100
- Skimmer not doing much. Skimmate dark and stinky

This week
- upped vinegar to 60ml Not going by the chart I'm on week 8 and ramming my head into the wall with NO3. continuing MB7 six drops per day.
- PO4 down to .49 with no media so I know carbon dosing is working.\
- two days after I cleaned back glass I fired up 1.25 cups GFO in a reactor.
- yesterday NO4 at 75ish (sailfert)!!!
- Today NO4 at 100?? I was hoping for 50.
- upped the skimmer a bit

The question is, How much longer for NO3 to go down??? Im going insane. I already know Randy is going to tell me ATS or Cheato. I just ordered 60lbs of Pukani dry so Im going to cook/cycle it and remove most of my current rock in about 4 weeks. My water and tank look great. The fish look like they are swimming in air. 3 tangs and 4 little fish. I'm still fighting a bit of remaining cyano, and diatoms on the new sand. I also know that this tank has undergone major surgery every couple weeks. I'd like to get this to an acro/mille tank. My sump has some live rock in it and a skimmer/return pump/+sock with some carbon. Is my skimmer to small (reef dynamics 180)? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide didn't kill all algae. theres still some on the back glass and a little on the rocks. It's the green film, not GHA (yet). Im not sure how I did this but I just realized I used 15 ml instead of 150ml per 150 gallon! It did however stop a Dino outbreak from becoming the kiss of death. I had massive dinos a couple years ago when I tried to get the tank ready for coral. I almost tore the tank down. I quite skimming and water changes and that cleared that one up quick (3 weeks).

Other than time, anything else I can or should try? I may build a ATS this weekend. Thank You Randy, you have been a big help to all of us!

OP
OP
Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. I'll bump tomorrows dose up to 75ml vinegar and try that for a week before bumping it up again. I'm looking forward to getting this under control.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back