Vodka dosing

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys iv recently started a biocube almost 2 months old all test are in spec as iv used water from my 9 month old 90 gallon main display. No fish will be in biocube unless in QT just coral as i have just zoas and few snails in it now. The problem I'm having is green hair algea it's out of hand water changes do nothing even though my rodi tds meter reads only 2 and my 90 gallon is pristine and never had any outbreaks. So i have been on the fence of dosing vodka but don't no much about it 29 gallons is a small tank and I would imagine no room for overdosing so how do I begin.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bio cube is likely going through a cycle even though you are using water from the other system. Are the rocks new or have they been out of the water for a while? Before trying vodka I would test my phosphate levels, my guess is that you have some. If so, start there first by employing some GFO. I would also get some more CUC to help mow down the GHA.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bio cube is likely going through a cycle even though you are using water from the other system. Are the rocks new or have they been out of the water for a while? Before trying vodka I would test my phosphate levels, my guess is that you have some. If so, start there first by employing some GFO. I would also get some more CUC to help mow down the GHA.
Nitrate and phosphates all check good but I'm thinking I used marine epoxy for dry rock and its leaching phosphates and gha is soaking them up causing false reading I'm just scared by time I get it to stop growing it will be to far out of control I cut and scraped slot yesterday and this evening just as never touched it grew right back over night and light was off all day..is just frustrating I'm trying a poor man's tank so to speak with no high end equipment like all my other systems so I guess that's for some to do with also skimmer was just installed 2 days ago and is DIY but is working cup was half full today still running it in also I'm going to try a 3 day black out and see before any major changes if all fails I'll break system down as my 90 gal is my main just kinda wanted a experimental all coral tank and DIY build I'm also kind regreting going all crushed coral instead of sand bed

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 136 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back