Vote: Help Me Pick a Watchman Goby

Which watchman goby should I get?

• Total voters

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started planning out my stocking list originally I was gung ho that the yellow watchman goby was the one I wanted. I loved the bright yellow color. Then it was brought to my attention that they are neither guaranteed to come bright yellow or stay that way. It seems they can fluctuate in color back and forth from bright yellow to virtually brown or go brown and stay that way indefinitely or a number of shades in between. Given how small my tank is (20 long) and how few fish I'll be keeping I don't really want to gamble and end up with an unattractive brown fish so I've all but ruled out the yellow watchman, and need to pick a replacement.

My next favorite was the diamond goby and a few other sand sifting gobies (just based on appearances) but after learning more about how many starve and the fact that they get a bit larger than the others I ruled them out.

Next up were orange spotted goby and Randall's. I somewhat hate to get an orange fish though because I have 2 clowns already so to only have 4 fish and 3 of them be orange seems a waste, but I lean towards the Randall between the two if I went with one.

Somewhat late hitting my radar is the Wheeler's Goby. What I love on this one is there are not a lot of red, readily available, inexpensive fish for a nano that don't harm anything. I also like that supposedly it does better in pairs or groups whereas for most fish that's a no go.

Last up is the Pink Spotted Watchman. I'm slightly leaning towards this as my front runner at the moment, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this fish. I've seen it listed by Liveaquaria as peaceful, but all other outlets as semi-aggressive. I've seen the max size listed on different sites as 4", 5" and 6". I've also heard and read that it sifts a lot of sand despite not being a technical sand sifter while others refute that. One website claims they eat ornamental shrimp but I saw this nowhere else and since they pair with pistol shrimp this was a little surprising to read so not sure what to think on that part. Lastly, one site said it eats bristle worms which if true is an added bonus, but not a big deal if not.

Pros: The coloration seems to be great in some photos if understated in others, but I get the sense that photos don't do this fish justice. It definitely is quite distinct color wise from my other fish (clowns and RG) and from most other fish in general. There were enough reports on the heavy sand sifting behavior that I suspect this part is true and if so is an added bonus.

Cons: Slightly concerned with some of the comments around aggression, but I haven't read any reports on it actually killing a fish. Most of the issues seem to be with hermit crabs which I neither have nor ever plan to keep. The fish does seem to be slightly hard to find at the moment. Not sure if it has seasonal swings in availability. I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person. ORA appears to have produced it in the past captive bred, but are not doing so currently. Usure if they cycle things in and out across the year or if there just isn't enough demand so they discontinued indefinitely.

What are your thoughts? Cast your vote!

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow are awesome when they are young but they do lose color as they get older

Guerrzack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started planning out my stocking list originally I was gung ho that the yellow watchman goby was the one I wanted. I loved the bright yellow color. Then it was brought to my attention that they are neither guaranteed to come bright yellow or stay that way. It seems they can fluctuate in color back and forth from bright yellow to virtually brown or go brown and stay that way indefinitely or a number of shades in between. Given how small my tank is (20 long) and how few fish I'll be keeping I don't really want to gamble and end up with an unattractive brown fish so I've all but ruled out the yellow watchman, and need to pick a replacement.

My next favorite was the diamond goby and a few other sand sifting gobies (just based on appearances) but after learning more about how many starve and the fact that they get a bit larger than the others I ruled them out.

Next up were orange spotted goby and Randall's. I somewhat hate to get an orange fish though because I have 2 clowns already so to only have 4 fish and 3 of them be orange seems a waste, but I lean towards the Randall between the two if I went with one.

Somewhat late hitting my radar is the Wheeler's Goby. What I love on this one is there are not a lot of red, readily available, inexpensive fish for a nano that don't harm anything. I also like that supposedly it does better in pairs or groups whereas for most fish that's a no go.

Last up is the Pink Spotted Watchman. I'm slightly leaning towards this as my front runner at the moment, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this fish. I've seen it listed by Liveaquaria as peaceful, but all other outlets as semi-aggressive. I've seen the max size listed on different sites as 4", 5" and 6". I've also heard and read that it sifts a lot of sand despite not being a technical sand sifter while others refute that. One website claims they eat ornamental shrimp but I saw this nowhere else and since they pair with pistol shrimp this was a little surprising to read so not sure what to think on that part. Lastly, one site said it eats bristle worms which if true is an added bonus, but not a big deal if not.

Pros: The coloration seems to be great in some photos if understated in others, but I get the sense that photos don't do this fish justice. It definitely is quite distinct color wise from my other fish (clowns and RG) and from most other fish in general. There were enough reports on the heavy sand sifting behavior that I suspect this part is true and if so is an added bonus.

Cons: Slightly concerned with some of the comments around aggression, but I haven't read any reports on it actually killing a fish. Most of the issues seem to be with hermit crabs which I neither have nor ever plan to keep. The fish does seem to be slightly hard to find at the moment. Not sure if it has seasonal swings in availability. I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person. ORA appears to have produced it in the past captive bred, but are not doing so currently. Usure if they cycle things in and out across the year or if there just isn't enough demand so they discontinued indefinitely.

What are your thoughts? Cast your vote!
I have a 4-5ninch pink spotted goby he’s so chill lol I have a lawn mower blenny same size and they both post up next to each other and get cleaned by my shrimp

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to know if that's true
This is from the biota website. They captive breed them: "The captive bred Yellow Watchman Goby is a beautiful goby that naturally varies in color a bit. They can be mustard, pale grey with olive-grey bands, or bright yellow, all with iridescent blue dots. Feeding a diet heavy in astaxanthin and carotenoids can help them to retain their bright coloration. Gobies on lighter colored substrates also tend to be brighter over time. Hobbyists even sometimes witness their gobies changing color in their tanks. We also offer the grey morph, and we think having one of each color would make an interesting display in a home tank. "

They don't specifically call out gender, as the driver but that doesn't rule it out. People have also documented them going yellow to grey then back again during stressful events while others see them go grey and stay there. My take is this still isn't fully understood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4-5ninch pink spotted goby he’s so chill lol I have a lawn mower blenny same size and they both post up next to each other and get cleaned by my shrimp
Thanks! That's what I hoped to hear. Does yours sift much sand? I originally planned to get a conch down the line but going to see how having a bottle dweller helps with sand turnover first. I actually ruled the pink spot out early on because of this video. He claimed it was an even heavier sifter than the diamond goby so I thought it might be the same and starve. However, learned recently that it is a true watchman not a sifter so it should eat regular food with no issue.

Last edited:

Guerrzack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's what I hoped to hear. Does yours sift much sand? I originally planned to get a conch down the line but going to see how having a bottle dweller helps with sand turnover first. I actually ruled the pink spot out early on because of this video. He claimed it was an even heavier sifter than the diamond goby so I thought it might be the same and starve. However, learned recently that it is a true watchman not a sifter so it should eat regular food with no issue.

Mine does sift some sand here and there, but I would say like 90% of his food intake is enriched mysis shrimp, plankton, algae max pellets, and brine shrimp that I broadcast feed my tank. No problem getting this dude to eat. Make sure u have a good lid on ur tank tho mine jumped the such a small gap 2x at night and I woke up to him flappin saved him and altered the lid now.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back