Want to add an external skimmer to 75 gallon fowlr dt

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about a hob modified to sit flush to the top because I have a small area behind and above my tank and I could maybe extend the plumbing. Looking for suggestions on external skimmers for a dt. I'm curious if I could take an awesome skimmer like an octopus and plumb it in as an external? Things like this possible? I've only recently seen the plumbing schematic option for an external skimmer in a sump. Or should I do a hob? Im currently medium stocked bioload and want to oversize a bit where possible. Hit me with some brand and type suggestions to narrow my search please. I have never actually had one of these devices in my hand, only read about them and seen pictures. It looks like I would maybe need a submersible pump in my tank feeding a skimmer and can I just plumb a return on that and use a skimmer of my choice with the appropriate adaptors of course?

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I put something like Reef Octopus Classic 110-INT Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer on a shelf above my tank fed with a submersible pump and plumbed to return? Or probably just extending the suction and return of a standard hob?

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more reading ive learned about ext vs int vs hob skimmer. Im going to get a feed pump to supply an extetnal. Im not finding a bunch of options so i might get the reefopus 150ext but only because i cant seem to find any well reviewed alts. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back