Wanted to confirm my suspicions that this is encrusting gorgonian

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently “rescued” a reef from an elderly widow who in her later years couldn’t keep up with the demands of a reef. She had some very interesting hitch hikers, corals and creatures the tank has been running for many many a year she lived close enough that I was able to transfer the cycle to the tanks new location. In the tank she has several Large rock islands covered in what initially looked like pink GSP but when it retracted for the move it was encrusting like a thick bright pink goo. I am 99% sure I should treat this coral as encrusting gorgonian but wanted to be sure as I’m always surprised at what I get wrong in this hobby and this would be the first encounter with said coral. They don’t glow under actinic or blues but are bright bright pink during the day.

61078840-FD21-487F-B1FA-0571377BC7BC.jpeg 9F1266F7-11CF-448F-8161-D5F923E29606.jpeg 748C1E4B-F5E7-463B-BFFA-D3D22493CE05.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrapevineReefs

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stalks are not long at all not as long as the waiving hand I’ve kept. On at least 6 year old large colonies When fully extended the polyps are less than 1/2 an inch from the base. I will take a picture of the polyps retracted. It’s a bright pink thick encrusting “goo” is the word I want to use for it. Give me a bit and I’ll be back with pictures of the encrusting base

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back