Water height for SRO-6000sss

Kapital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the SRO 6000sss for 2 months now. I am looking online everywhere and noticing that many sites are saying the sump water level should be between 6.5-7.5 inches. When I put it at that level it requires me to turn the skimmer all the way up to get much of a skim. I noticed the manual said it should be higher. Anyone able to shed some light on this.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your salinity level good. Salinity lower = less bubbles = less skimate

Having an over sized skimmer is a good thing, but too much oversized and it doesn't collect. Not saying that's what you got, just putting it out there

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the SRO 6000sss for 2 months now. I am looking online everywhere and noticing that many sites are saying the sump water level should be between 6.5-7.5 inches. When I put it at that level it requires me to turn the skimmer all the way up to get much of a skim. I noticed the manual said it should be higher. Anyone able to shed some light on this.

I suggest you run the skimmer at 6.5-7in of water for best results. What size aquarium do you have? Whats the stocking level like? Whats your waters salinity?

OP
OP
K

Kapital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we currently have a low stock of fish due to a disease outbreak (black ich). But it's a 210g tank with a large triton 20% sump. Planning on doing some restocking soon. Salinity is 35ppm. Just hooked a CO2 scrubber up as well due to low ph.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but you may get better performance with more livestock but Fishfinder is correct that skimmer is a tad large for your system. The issue you will encounter is inconsistencies in collection and the skimmer will tend to be finicky due to having the water height within the skimmer so high. Anything that changes the surface tension of the water/air will trigger large crashes in foam and or overflows.

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but you may get better performance with more livestock but Fishfinder is correct that skimmer is a tad large for your system. The issue you will encounter is inconsistencies in collection and the skimmer will tend to be finicky due to having the water height within the skimmer so high. Anything that changes the surface tension of the water/air will trigger large crashes in foam and or overflows.
Jeremy, Can you PM me please? I wasnt able to pm you.
Thanks man!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back