Waterbox Marine X 60 (upgrade from WB AIO 20)

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I finally started my transfer process.
I'm not the best with documenting and writing but this is where I'm going to try to keep track.

I've had my 60.2 setup next to my 20g for 2+ weeks.

I've been battling dinos and have been planning on a rip clean, but I don't think I'm going to keep the sand for my new tank.

This is the start and I'm working on it right now so I'll try to take pics along the way.

PXL_20220319_150631272.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest part is done, now to finish up cleaning sand and rescuing snails.

I haven't decided if I'm going to put the sand back in or try something like gsp mounds...or just bb lol

PXL_20220319_195858916.NIGHT.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was looking good last night and the couple corals I have left are opening up and looking happy.

There was one fatality, our firefish looked like it got into it with the power head and lost this morning. It sucks we've had that fish over a year now, very flashy and pretty.

Took a trip the the lfs and left with a baby six line that has settled in and is exploring. Hopefully it stays clear of power heads.

I started adding a little extra flake to the sump when I feed to try to help raise nitrates. I'll be monitoring parameters to make sure all is settling in and stays good.

I'm anxious to get my next anemone in here and get back to the original plan. This was supposed to be clown/anemone tank and it just hadn't cooperated yet for the nem side lol.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatcha looking to keep in there? I'm doing SPS and had to move my powerheads from the backs to the sides...just couldn't get the right flow with them on the back.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatcha looking to keep in there? I'm doing SPS and had to move my powerheads from the backs to the sides...just couldn't get the right flow with them on the back.
I'd love to try RFA's again, but my main goal is bubble tips.

Would you mind posting a pic of how you have yours? I've been adjusting up and down a little and wondering if it's going to work.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had MP40s on the back when I first set it up... found that MP10s work (barely) with this 1/2" glass and run 3. The two you see on the sides and one on the back left real close to the bottom. It was weird when I had the pumps on the back only... couldn't get any real flow in the center and all detritus would sit behind the rockwork.... it settles in my rock channel now, which is much easier to clean, but annoying to see.

Banished the rbta to the corner

Edit: and pardon the tank...I was part of the TM Turkey salt and lost most of my coral frags...the tank is still recovering-oof!

20220218_153608.jpg 20220218_153617.jpg 20220227_162758.jpg

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couch view... the mp10 isn't too bad, but still in the way. These are the 40s on the sides, they seemed to take over the tank and would suck in air often. I just picked up 2 Tunze 6055... I'm going to try them on the back and criss cross the flow...

20211128_125727.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had MP40s on the back when I first set it up... found that MP10s work (barely) with this 1/2" glass and run 3. The two you see on the sides and one on the back left real close to the bottom. It was weird when I had the pumps on the back only... couldn't get any real flow in the center and all detritus would sit behind the rockwork.... it settles in my rock channel now, which is much easier to clean, but annoying to see.

Banished the rbta to the corner

Edit: and pardon the tank...I was part of the TM Turkey salt and lost most of my coral frags...the tank is still recovering-oof!

20220218_153608.jpg 20220218_153617.jpg 20220227_162758.jpg
I love you BTA, thanks for the pics!

I have a lot of adjustability withe the Nero's so I am going to try to keep tuning and see if it works. This will help if I need to move em, so thanks.

That's a bummer about the salt, big time! I think it looks good considering what it went through.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following along to check out your progress. TY for the compliments...time will tell, but I should be able to make it look good at some point. I found staggering the pumps on the back gave me the best results (until I moved them to the sides)...so one a little higher than the other. You also have less rock, so you're going to get better flow behind it. It seems to me that a cube is just tougher to get great flow all around...sounds weird, but has proven to be true, at least for me.

I had jumped back in the hobby after a 12 year or so hiatus...this was my 90g (pic) back in the day. I will say, sand gives you a bigger buffer...I have put a biopellet reactor online and am carbon dosing with this tank. Took a bit, but she's stable now.

rsz_tank_Sept09.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following along to check out your progress. TY for the compliments...time will tell, but I should be able to make it look good at some point. I found staggering the pumps on the back gave me the best results (until I moved them to the sides)...so one a little higher than the other. You also have less rock, so you're going to get better flow behind it. It seems to me that a cube is just tougher to get great flow all around...sounds weird, but has proven to be true, at least for me.

I had jumped back in the hobby after a 12 year or so hiatus...this was my 90g (pic) back in the day. I will say, sand gives you a bigger buffer...I have put a biopellet reactor online and am carbon dosing with this tank. Took a bit, but she's stable now.

rsz_tank_Sept09.jpg
Thanks, I'm still pretty new to all this so just trying to go with the flow. I have always loved cubes and am pretty determined to make this one work.

That 90 looks pretty dang good, do you have a build thread for your cube yet?

I just ordered another nem guard for my Nero so hopefully there's no more casualties before that shows up. I am going to adjust the flows so they alternate a little more and maybe that'll help prevent dead spots.

Everything is showing polyps today and the fish seem well so I'm happy with the initial results here!

I did go ahead and glue down gsp patches on the bottom and base of the back wall......hoping I don't hate myself in the future for this lol.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you'll hate yourself! The reason I wanted to go mainly sps is because it's much easier to prune! Glad to hear all is well though.
No, I haven't done a build thread...I purchased the original tank, stand, and livestock (trying to relocate the tang now... he's way too big for this tank) from a guy whom had been neglecting it. I built a new top for the stand, got everything going and noticed quite a few scratches after I removed all the coraline from the front. Then the silicone started coming off in a corner, so I had glasscages build me a tank. That wasn't cheap, then the TM salt debacle... somethings telling me I should have never got back in the hobby! lol
It'll be worth it in the end.. I do love this hobby.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been obsessed with clowns/anemone tanks so that my drive. I really want a lower upkeep tank, so if I can avoid dosing and all that extra stuff I'll be set.

I tested my nitrates and phos and both still reading 0 so I'm slightly nervous I'm going to end up with the same problem. I'm adding a pinch of flake food to the fuge while feeding, and I ordered some phos to start dosing.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nem tanks are pretty darn neat...

This tank had sand when I picked it up...everything was fine for me for a bit when I removed the sand, then bam!, it went erratic.
For you, needing to overfeed the tank isn't a bad problem, so hey, that's a bright side! lol

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it could always be worse lol. I haven't been able to get the flow moving through my fuge as fast as I'd like yet. The chaeto and red ogo look like they're still healthy so I'm not too concerned yet.

I'll try to get a couple pics up in the next day or two so I have a starting point for this tank.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos still holding @ 0.0 so I started dosing tonight. I plan on adding 1ml of this mix daily, which should add about .02 ppm.
PXL_20220326_003425643.jpg

I got a pic of our "sea monster" out and about today.
PXL_20220326_003111992.NIGHT.jpg

A couple more pics now that everything is open and seemingly happy.
PXL_20220325_200353373.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200405237.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200413107.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200434467.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200451197.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200502644.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220325_200548079.NIGHT.jpg
The six line is eating well and is very active along with my 2 clowns. Everything seems much happier in this tank, hopefully it holds this time!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back