Wayne’s Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’m finally getting a chance to share my next reef build after purchasing a newly built home. I sold off my DSA 175g from the old house knowing that my living room space would be slightly different. I was trying to hold off on starting a new build until I finished all the projects I wanted to do in the new house. We all know that never works.. so here’s to new builds!

For this build I’m going with:
  • Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula tank (140g display/174g overall) with the white stand
  • Reef Octopus Regal 200-INT
  • 3x Vortech MP40s
  • 4x Hydra 26’s (kept from previous build) with AI Director and HMS hanging kit
  • Apex Classic with additional EB8’s, a WXM, and Breakout Box
  • 2x AquaMaxx Media Reactors
  • Marinepure 8x8x4 Ceramic Plate
  • Par38 LED Light with RapidLED Goose Mount
  • BRS Pukani Rock
  • Tropic Eden Reefflakes
For tank placement, I wanted to put it in the living room next to the wall with the cutout.

tank_placement2.jpg

Since I had the room in the dining area, I decided to build a bar so it would be easy to just sit and watch the tank. This was the concept in sketch-up.

bar.jpg

After deciding how to build it sturdy enough that I could stand on, I got work. Here's how the bar turned out.

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

In order for the bar to be effective, I would want the bottom of the tank flush with the bar. Thanks to @3mm3 I got the measurements for the stand and determined I would need to build a platform that was 3.25" in height. I liked how Red Sea used a pedestal to introduce the tank so I decided to do something similar.

tank_platform.jpg

Since I was reusing sand that I got from a fellow reefer, I needed to clean it out. It took about a week to wash it all thoroughly and let it dry in the hot Phoenix sun since the tarp could only be effective with about 2 buckets of sand. I also did a muriatic acid wash on the rocks.

Sand&rock.jpg

Some goodies arrived.

stuff.jpg

For QT, I have two 10g tank setups for TTM and a 40g observation tank with sump. I got that plumbed and started the cycle on that.

observation tank.jpg

I also setup a 20g long tank to QT the cleanup crew. I didn’t QT my cleanup crew last time and when they were added to the tank, I noticed hydroids attached to one of the snail’s shell and those spread quickly.

While that was drying, it was time to start on the water change room. I ended up splitting the outside line so I could plumb a line into the storage closet under the stairwell. I also had to put an electrical outlet there. It’s not the most spacious, but it seems functional so far.
waterchange.jpg

I’m trying to decide if I want to plumb another line outside from the RO water reservoir to where the tank will sit to make topoff easier.

I purchased the updated SpectraPure ATO system with magnetic probe holder and LiterMeter Gen-6 Peristaltic Pump. Does anyone see any issue with doing this?

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should arrive tomorrow, so I should have some more pics soon. In the mean time, I ordered another Hydra 26 to go on a coral QT tank and tonight I'll get the garage cleaned out to prepare for the tank.

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
livingroom_before.jpg
living_after.jpg
entryway_before.jpg
entryway_after.jpg
Nice setup and start. Nice and clean/organized.
Thanks Scubafrog. I think the tank will fit in nicely with the current room layout. I had trouble trying to figure out where exactly I wanted to build the tank and also where to place the TV and still try to not see the back of the couch when guests walked in. I ended up having to take out a window, but it worked out well.

I'll admit, I had to learn a lot of woodworking techniques and buy a good bit of equipment when I built the stand for my DSA tank. Since then, I haven't been afraid to tackle any projects. Here's the progress of the living room that the tank will sit in.

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the platform made from? Love the seamless mono-block look.
To get the 3.25" height, I took 2x4's and sliced the edges with the table saw to make them square at 2.5". Then I added 3/4" Birch plywood on top of it to get to 3.25". The non-load bearing trim on the sides and front edge are just pine.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the 3.25" height, I took 2x4's and sliced the edges with the table saw to make them square at 2.5". Then I added 3/4" Birch plywood on top of it to get to 3.25". The non-load bearing trim on the sides and front edge are just pine.

It looks very good. I really wanted to do the same. When I saw the release video from Red Sea I thought wow I want that look. Unfortunately I just didn't have the room above the tank to do it the basement ceiling was just too low.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are to doing with the mp 40 layout?
I'll have 2 positioned by the overflow, and one positioned at the other end. I know it will not look as clean, but for sps I wanted to make sure I had the additional flow. One of our fellow local reefers, @urbaneks , mentioned how much his sps took off after he added the powerhead at the end of his peninsula so I'm following his lead.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have 2 positioned by the overflow, and one positioned at the other end. I know it will not look as clean, but for sps I wanted to make sure I had the additional flow. One of our fellow local reefers, @urbaneks , mentioned how much his sps took off after he added the powerhead at the end of his peninsula so I'm following his lead.
Got it! I'm looking to do either 4 mp40s or 2 mp40s plus 2 tunze pumps so I can angle the flow.

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! I'm looking to do either 4 mp40s or 2 mp40s plus 2 tunze pumps so I can angle the flow.
Haha.. I'm still tempted to buy a 4th, but I'm waiting to see what dead zones pop up during the cycling process first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back