We could use a little help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to check your site out right now!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy I am happy to hear your confidence. I have been in a relationship with Scott for over 5 years. Please understand that, like everyone, he has areas where he excels and areas that could be improved on and I am well aware of both and have tried to guide him towards growth and success. I sacrificed a great deal to help him get where he is today, and want nothing more than to see him achieve his goals.

I'm 1000% certain that the Unique Corals family will definitely thank customers for taking photos. :)

Unique Corals already does something that most vendors don't, which is constantly asking for feedback and even showing us how they maintain and care for their livestock. Real unique stuff right there! But I don't mind getting a GC if I just take pictures of pretty corals all day that you guys did all the work growing. :wink:

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,
I am happy to hear your confidence, but understand that I know Scott better than you or anyone else. Over the last 5 plus years I gave a lot to help get him where he is. I was a hobbyist and published photographer before I met Scott so understand that I am not speaking ignorantly. I know Scott's strengths and weaknesses and have tried to help him grow and accomplish his goals. This is but another example of that.

Being the company Unique is and outstanding person Scott is, im sure they appreciate any pics they get and help represent what fine specimens they have. Having your name on their site should be considered an honor also, especially as respected and as frequently viewed site they have.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats cool didnt meen to sound rude, everyone is sorta like a big family here so we sorta stay proud of our sponsors and friends alike.
Dave,
I am happy to hear your confidence, but understand that I know Scott better than you or anyone else. Over the last 5 plus years I gave a lot to help get him where he is. I was a hobbyist and published photographer before I met Scott so understand that I am not speaking ignorantly. I know Scott's strengths and weaknesses and have tried to help him grow and accomplish his goals. This is but another example of that.

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries Dave. Sometimes much is lost in the written word and I felt jumped on. Very glad to see this pride here. Scott has done a tremendous job developing the company. I have just try tried to help by sharing what I think would increase success, as I hope he can make his dreams come true, as we have both sacrificed much to try to do so. I just know what I have experienced and know the areas which were good and the areas which had room for improvement. Thank you goes a long way and they can never be over used in my opinion. Just wished it might have occurred here. :(

Ok thats cool didnt meen to sound rude, everyone is sorta like a big family here so we sorta stay proud of our sponsors and friends alike.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I understand sometimes written words seem over dramatic. Glad to see your passion for the hobby also and welcome to our family
No worries Dave. Sometimes much is lost in the written word and I felt jumped on. Very glad to see this pride here. Scott has done a tremendous job developing the company. I have just try tried to help by sharing what I think would increase success, as I hope he can make his dreams come true, as we have both sacrificed much to try to do so. I just know what I have experienced and know the areas which were good and the areas which had room for improvement. Thank you goes a long way and they can never be over used in my opinion. Just wished it might have occurred here. :(

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bookmarked your page.. will be trying you out in the next coming weeks. You better measure up, just kidding. I have no doubt.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bookmarked your page.. will be trying you out in the next coming weeks. You better measure up, just kidding. I have no doubt.

Looking forward to working with you, fragmatic! Let me know if I may be of help in getting your order together!

Regards,

Scott

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will be disappointed, but please share your thoughts and impressions with Scott. Any criticisms, no matter how minor or thoughts for improvement are most valued. Scott needs to hear not only the good, but also areas that might be improved upon. Constructive criticisms are far more valuable than just hearing compliments. Hearing only positives does not allow for growth. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love you both! :D

christo203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say more frag packs, but that might not be the best answer!!!

The point of frag packs are to get a great deal on some amazing corals right?!? It might be best to offer a build a frag pack, or to offer a discount program.

Example: Buy any three frags, get a 5% discount. Buy any five frags, get a 10% discount...Etc.

I know there are several that I would order if that were the case, but without the package deal, it makes it hard for me.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michelle i was wondering since you posted that you do photography, have you ever done any pics of freshwater pleco's specifically L #s because ive heard your name before somewhere in the past and i kept thinking it had to do with freshwater photography. Im a big pleco fanatic(collector) and anytime i see pics of them i usually try to remember who the photographer was. Im usually wrong about things like this lol but its stuck in my head and figured id ask

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The point of frag packs are to get a great deal on some amazing corals right?!? It might be best to offer a build a frag pack, or to offer a discount program.

Example: Buy any three frags, get a 5% discount. Buy any five frags, get a 10% discount...Etc.

I know there are several that I would order if that were the case, but without the package deal, it makes it hard for me.

There's already the $250, get 10% off and free shipping. A pretty good deal right there. Maybe something like that would have to be taken through PM to work out a custom deal/package? I know some vendors do that, but it has to be worth making a custom pack and price for.

One thing that I did notice that Unique Corals does not have on the site that the majority of the other vendors do is having multiple frags of the same coral, while still being WYSIWYG. Because of that, I usually just browse through the site with a "Hmm, what's new?" attitude rather than seeing the site as a place for shopping. Cherry Corals offers this option, and I like it. the reason behind it is it's a coral I'm interested in, and I get to choose which one I like the most out of a good selection (3-4 avail of the same coral). The pictures of the facility definitely show that Unique Corals has multiple frags of the same corals, so it definitely should be possible to offer this option like how the Shortcake Frags were posted with 2 diff frags. I can understand that maybe only one frag of each different coral is posted for variety purposes, but variety of choice of the same coral is a huge plus in my opinion, it's like going into a shop and being able to cherry pick your own frag of the bunch. :)

One thing that really bugs me about the site is that if I want to see a larger photo, I can only move the mouse over the photo and see zoomed portions of it rather than clicking it and getting one larger photo overall. Makes it hard to get an overall feel of the coral other than blowing up the page itself. A good example is the way ebay has the photos. You can move your mouse over the photo, it will enlarge the portion of the photo your mouse is over. When you click it, you get an overall larger photo to see. A vendor that does this well is Cherry Corals (I'm using cherry corals 2x because well, they're an example of what I was looking for. Lol!)

Another vendor, Planet Zoa, has offered a care guide that I haven't seen anyone else do. On the corals that you receive, there's a small label with Lighting, Water Flow, and Hardiness. Each line has a scale of 1-10. They circle the numbers based upon how much flow, light, and difficulty to give the hobbyist an instant overall idea of how the coral's care was from the buyer. I think it's an amazing idea, and should be put on the site and/or on the corals that you ship out. It gives that "Here's our personal take on the coral" for me, and I can look at my tank and know if I'm ready for something like the coral I'm looking at, and where I can put it in my tank.

Hope that helps! Just putting in the pros that I've received from the vendors I've dealt with. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Chris,

Excellent points!

I like the idea of a "build your own frag pack". Technically, it might just require some web site shopping cart rules. I think that this type of pack might be more attractive to consumers than us configuring one, since you would get to make the choices. We'll look into this!

Thanks,

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's already the $250, get 10% off and free shipping. A pretty good deal right there. Maybe something like that would have to be taken through PM to work out a custom deal/package? I know some vendors do that, but it has to be worth making a custom pack and price for.

One thing that I did notice that Unique Corals does not have on the site that the majority of the other vendors do is having multiple frags of the same coral, while still being WYSIWYG. Because of that, I usually just browse through the site with a "Hmm, what's new?" attitude rather than seeing the site as a place for shopping. Cherry Corals offers this option, and I like it. the reason behind it is it's a coral I'm interested in, and I get to choose which one I like the most out of a good selection (3-4 avail of the same coral). The pictures of the facility definitely show that Unique Corals has multiple frags of the same corals, so it definitely should be possible to offer this option like how the Shortcake Frags were posted with 2 diff frags. I can understand that maybe only one frag of each different coral is posted for variety purposes, but variety of choice of the same coral is a huge plus in my opinion, it's like going into a shop and being able to cherry pick your own frag of the bunch. :)

One thing that really bugs me about the site is that if I want to see a larger photo, I can only move the mouse over the photo and see zoomed portions of it rather than clicking it and getting one larger photo overall. Makes it hard to get an overall feel of the coral other than blowing up the page itself. A good example is the way ebay has the photos. You can move your mouse over the photo, it will enlarge the portion of the photo your mouse is over. When you click it, you get an overall larger photo to see. A vendor that does this well is Cherry Corals (I'm using cherry corals 2x because well, they're an example of what I was looking for. Lol!)

Another vendor, Planet Zoa, has offered a care guide that I haven't seen anyone else do. On the corals that you receive, there's a small label with Lighting, Water Flow, and Hardiness. Each line has a scale of 1-10. They circle the numbers based upon how much flow, light, and difficulty to give the hobbyist an instant overall idea of how the coral's care was from the buyer. I think it's an amazing idea, and should be put on the site and/or on the corals that you ship out. It gives that "Here's our personal take on the coral" for me, and I can look at my tank and know if I'm ready for something like the coral I'm looking at, and where I can put it in my tank.

Hope that helps! Just putting in the pros that I've received from the vendors I've dealt with. :)

WOW! Really awesome feedback! Thank you!

When you say a "custom pack", I assume you're thinking along the lines of what chris suggested...? LIke a progressive discount, or?

The WYSIWYG point is really well taken...In fact, Joe and I just discussed this very thought a couple of days ago. What we are going to start moving towards is just that...We have literally thousands of frags. It was thought initially that people would like the idea of "stock" items...But it is a WYSIWYG driven industry, and I think that hobbyists like to see the exact frag with things like LPS and Acros. We've already started this with our Strawberry Shortcake frags. Should be lots of fun for our customers!

The photo size issue is a bit of a tougher problem...The design template that we use may not allow us to alter this feature, unfortunately (rollover vs. separate blowup photo). We can check with our developer and see if can do that...

OK to use Todd as an example, because we do know and respect him very much!

The idea of care guides and more information is something that we are also addressing; you'll see this evolving more over the coming months!

Thanks again for great feedback!

Scott

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a tip for buyers on photo size.........I will just up my page zoom to like 200 or 400% and I can get a good view of the coral if the vendors page options don't quite give me the look I want.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back