Weird wormy thing?

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, um...I put caribsea argonite sand in my 8 gallon and I saw these worm things? What the heck are they? I am concerned. There are 2 of them

PXL_20240203_202306097.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Aquatic pincher bugs? I would net those out immediately and place them in a QT until someone provides a proper id. They look like trouble with those maws.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Aquatic pincher bugs? I would net those out immediately and place them in a QT until someone provides a proper id. They look like trouble with those maws.
I dosed with ammonia before seeing them, so they will probably die off. Pretty interesting though

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed with ammonia before seeing them, so they will probably die off. Pretty interesting though
Yup, really cool bugs. I have no idea, and can't remember the moniker of the folks on here, otherthan @ISpeakForTheSeas ? I think that's one of the invert experts. We shall see.

Oh, and thanks for posting an unusual bug. :cool:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, um...I put caribsea argonite sand in my 8 gallon and I saw these worm things? What the heck are they? I am concerned. There are 2 of them
Some sort of polychaete worm (bristleworm) - you can see the chaetae (the bristles) on the top side of the worm in the pic (if you look closely while zoomed in, you can see a few on the bottom too).

Some polychaetes have tails with little, tentacle-esque-looking structures on them - sometimes they're longer, sometimes (like in this case) they're shorter.

I can't tell for sure what kind you have from the pic, but my first thought would be a Syllid worm; regardless, most polychaetes are harmless/beneficial for our tanks, and I'd assume yours will be too.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of polychaete worm (bristleworm) - you can see the chaetae (the bristles) on the top side of the worm in the pic (if you look closely while zoomed in, you can see a few on the bottom too).

Some polychaetes have tails with little, tentacle-esque-looking structures on them - sometimes they're longer, sometimes (like in this case) they're shorter.

I can't tell for sure what kind you have from the pic, but my first thought would be a Syllid worm; regardless, most polychaetes are harmless/beneficial for our tanks, and I'd assume yours will be too.
I am surprised they survived being at the LFS for God knows how long in a bag. Kinda hope they survive the cycling process, lol.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised they survived being at the LFS for God knows how long in a bag. Kinda hope they survive the cycling process, lol.
There's a good chance they will:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back