What’s going on with this Trachy?

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I purchased this beautiful rainbow Trachy about a week ago, and it hasn’t been appearing to do very well. I don’t have experience with these things in particular but am having great success with many other LPS, including torches and elegance, for what it’s worth.

Within the day after I put it in the tank, its septa began to seemingly protrude OUT of the flesh in several places and become exposed to the open water. Those protrusions are rough to the touch which likely indicates that they are, in fact, bare skeleton. I tried to initiate a feeding response with mysis juice and placing LRS on top but it hasn’t responded in any way, not even inflating a bit. Initially, I had it placed on a rock, but I read that could irritate their flesh so I moved it down onto the sand bed a few days ago, where it remains. The flesh band around the bottom of the coral is still wholly intact as well. I do have a Venustus Angel who likes to “sample” everything when I initially place something in the tank, but since haven’t noticed any nipping at all.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 7.5 (raising it ~0.2 daily)
Calcium ~520 (lowering)
Haven’t checked PO4 or NO3
Temp 79 F

Livestock:
1x Melanurus Wrasse
1x Venustus Angelfish
2x Bangaii cardinals
1x Occelaris Clownfish
1x Filament Flasher Wrasse
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse
1x Sand sifting starfish
-7 Nassarius
~20 bumblebee snails
Maybe an emerald crab or three (haven’t seen any in a month, probabaly fell to the wrasse)
2 tiger conchs
1 giant trochus snail 2” or so
4 astrea snails
All manner of coral, BTAs, derasa clam

Therefore I ask, is any of this cause for immediate concern? I know it may still be adjusting, but if there is something dire afoot I would like to be able to address it sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance everyone! Pictures below, and I’m happy to provide any other info if need be.

5A84B1DD-60DB-4321-A863-AD4AACE41150.jpeg

D6B90A34-791C-46F3-8E3F-5CFB610CDB83.jpeg

9378043F-9868-489B-949A-C5E2AEC8C490.jpeg
80EF3F51-667D-409B-821A-50FD4814ED6C.jpeg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your fingers slip? Sometimes if ones not careful enough the damage from external forces like us :) can cause the issue to be pierced

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try raising it off the sand bed. Either on a flat rock or in a small PVC ring to keep it directly off the sand.

Okay, I’m currently away from home but I will do it when I get back. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your fingers slip? Sometimes if ones not careful enough the damage from external forces like us :) can cause the issue to be pierced
Not a bad idea, I thought I was pretty gentle but I will keep in mind for the future:) Assuming that is the case, is it capable of recovering on its own and healing over, or will it require a dip/surgery?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea, I thought I was pretty gentle but I will keep in mind for the future:) Assuming that is the case, is it capable of recovering on its own and healing over, or will it require a dip/surgery?

It'll heal no problem! Happened to me all the time when i was tank hopping LOL learned real fast to just glue my lobos/scolys onto a flat ish rock :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back