What’s growing behind my rock?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Shame it’s tucked in the very back of my largest rock, and I can’t reposition because of all the BTA in the front. Any way to coax it out or repreposition
they like darker spots, so I would leave it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very cool! Shame it’s tucked in the very back of my largest rock, and I can’t reposition because of all the BTA in the front. Any way to coax it out or reposition?
Do not reposition. They will move on their own using fibers which you dont want to tear. Increase flow towards it a little will MAY coax it but no guarantee

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I change the flow in my tank, the next day my scallop is always in a new spot. They really will pick what spot they like the most. But mine always tends to go towards a low light/low flow spot
This tank has had the same flow from the beginning, and everything seems happy, so no plans to change. I’m ok with observing this guy from an awkward angle!

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has had the same flow from the beginning, and everything seems happy, so no plans to change. I’m ok with observing this guy from an awkward angle!
That’s the fun/pain with the scallop. Mine lives under a cave and I can only see his contrast when looking through the cave. Like a shadow.

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can just barely make him out but that’s where mine lives

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can just barely make him out but that’s where mine lives
Mines up against the back wall on the back of the main rock. Red arrow pointing back there. Can only see from the other side when I stick my phone between the tank and the neighboring cabinet
IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6580.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines up against the back wall on the back of the main rock. Red arrow pointing back there. Can only see from the other side when I stick my phone between the tank and the neighboring cabinet
IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6580.jpeg
I agree, really nice tank!!!

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! What was supposed to be a nem only tank turned into a “whatever grows in here best + nem” tank :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I hate that I always start off with a game plan In my mind with how I want the tank to turn out. But once I’m in that fish store, whatever catches my eye is coming home lol

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that I always start off with a game plan In my mind with how I want the tank to turn out. But once I’m in that fish store, whatever catches my eye is coming home lol
All of these coral started out in a bigger tank with big plans and then when I decided to start up the nem only tank, these few just seemed to grow way better in here. My thinking is that the stability was achieved much easier because of the live rock to water ratio, being only a 15g AIO tank. I barely touch this tank now, no dosing, one small piece of filter floss in the overflow, a UV, and just a 5g water change every 10 days. Simple seems to work well for this thing.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the scallop in the back! The more I read the more I see it’s pretty difficult to keep them alive. He’s been in there since the beginning so I guess I’m doing something right!

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the scallop in the back! The more I read the more I see it’s pretty difficult to keep them alive. He’s been in there since the beginning so I guess I’m doing something right!
I’ve also read they are hard to keep but I have observed quotes the opposite. I have a 9g AIO. I do a 4 gallon water change every 14 days with water I buy from LFS so it already has all the correct dosings. One visit they gave me fresh water instead of saltwater. I nuked 95% of my tank. Didn’t realize the mistake until the next day. Pulled out everything that appeared to be alive and got into new saltwater. I thought for sure the scallop would die but he just closed his shell and sat through it. 2 months later and he is still thriving. I does phytoplankton 2 times a week. I think as long as you have some food in the water, they are pretty tough in my opinion.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also read they are hard to keep but I have observed quotes the opposite. I have a 9g AIO. I do a 4 gallon water change every 14 days with water I buy from LFS so it already has all the correct dosings. One visit they gave me fresh water instead of saltwater. I nuked 95% of my tank. Didn’t realize the mistake until the next day. Pulled out everything that appeared to be alive and got into new saltwater. I thought for sure the scallop would die but he just closed his shell and sat through it. 2 months later and he is still thriving. I does phytoplankton 2 times a week. I think as long as you have some food in the water, they are pretty tough in my opinion.
Wow that’s quite the story! Glad to hear it survived. I too dose phyto every few days, maybe that’s the trick.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are relatively easy to care for if you are able to support their dietary needs. Not many people known that they need specific foods like phyto, and the scallop slowly starves then dies. This is mostly how they got the reputation of being "hard" to keep. I am not saying they are easy to keep, but the reason they have the reputation to be hard to keep is because of their dietary needs which not many people are aware about.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the video will load, this is how they move around. This is mine while I was drip acclimating him. If not here is a link to it on YouTube

It works! Wow, that's amazing!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back