What’s the smallest footprint metal halide?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start using a metal halide(s) for my tank, mainly for the magnifica and clam. I’m currently using 4 T5’s, LED light strips, and a 50W flood light for my magnifica.

I would like to integrate the MHs into the Aquatic Life lighting fixture I currently have, but haven’t found anything that would fit. Can everyone send me some suggestions (and pics if you got them).
Thanks!

IMG_7258.jpeg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH fixtures, ballasts, and bulbs are limited in availability these days. You’re trying to do something very specific adding halide inside of t5 retro making it more difficult. With that said, you’ll likely need a double ended bulb and reflector to fit inside the t5 retro fixture. There’s very few bulbs in DE still available and you would still need to buy ballasts etc. If you really want halide, it would be cheaper and easier to find a used fixture that already incorporates t5’s. I see a bunch of stuff used in the marketplace often.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jackson6745 that’s what I was thinking. I was just curious if anyone has tried what I want to do with my pre-existing light fixture.

I can't recall anyone adding halide to your particular light since it was really designed to add led fixtures. I think the main problem is the width that most halide reflectors need. If you got something like this and bent it to fit, or trimmed some off with sheet metal shears, it would work.

You don't need a separate uv glass cover over a single ended bulb. With DE you need the uv glass over the bulb which is another added obstacle. I would look used though. I have a 250w giesemann spectra/4xt5 over my 25 nano, and a 3x250w + 4t5 giesemann spectra over my 200. I consider this the best lighting in the hobby. These days it's dirt cheap in comparison to top leds if you can find them used.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jackson6745 that’s what I was thinking. I was just curious if anyone has tried what I want to do with my pre-existing light fixture.
These are listed as 8.75" wide. The 24" end cap swap for the Aquatic life "may" have a 9.5" gap so it may fit.

Coudn't find any decent dimensions on the AL caps/gap though.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recall anyone adding halide to your particular light since it was really designed to add led fixtures. I think the main problem is the width that most halide reflectors need. If you got something like this and bent it to fit, or trimmed some off with sheet metal shears, it would work.

You don't need a separate uv glass cover over a single ended bulb. With DE you need the uv glass over the bulb which is another added obstacle. I would look used though. I have a 250w giesemann spectra/4xt5 over my 25 nano, and a 3x250w + 4t5 giesemann spectra over my 200. I consider this the best lighting in the hobby. These days it's dirt cheap in comparison to top leds if you can find them used.

This was going to be my suggestion as well.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave mine away a few years ago. They sat on the shelf for years after I moved to LEDs. The Bluewave ballast was nice too. I kind of miss the equipment but ohh well.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a tiny 70 watt MH retrofit kit that came with a reflector probly 7”x3”. Put it inside a 12 gal. Nanocube. I’m sure there’s still something like this floating around on the internet for sale.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start using a metal halide(s) for my tank, mainly for the magnifica and clam. I’m currently using 4 T5’s, LED light strips, and a 50W flood light for my magnifica.

I would like to integrate the MHs into the Aquatic Life lighting fixture I currently have, but haven’t found anything that would fit. Can everyone send me some suggestions (and pics if you got them).
Thanks!

IMG_7258.jpeg
the aquatic life 24 inch end cap will give you 12.75 inches for a light fixture in the middle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back