What’s your “weird” anemone behavior?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept btas and rock nems for years and I’ve just now ran into an instance of a yellow and orange (ultra) rock nem that shrinks and expands all the time, deflates and inflates, and umbrellas and reverse umbrellas all the time. No pattern, totally thought it died once but bounced back the next day like nothing happened lol the rest of the nems and other tanks are totally fine.

I’ve ruled him to just be weird. My theory is that the ones with smoother tentacles (ultra and/or deep water ones) are just finicky as opposed to the normal bumpy looking tentacles.

What has your nems done that is just plain weird?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one we refer to as "Komi" as in Kamikaze. This is one of the splits (baby) from my 10 year old BTAs. This guy has tried to do himself in by climbing into an overflow (we found tank cloudy and white one morning) pulled him out put him in our "penalty box" (acclimation box) to recover. After a month of rehab, released him into tank only to find him on the verge of getting ground to pieces in a powerhead - back to the penalty box for more rehab. He's since tried the powerhead assisted suicide but was unsuccessful because it had nem guards but he's rearranged a return nozzle, attempted to cook himself on a heater and literally tortured any small frags I own. Finally moved him to our 65 gal tank where our 2 gold nugget clowns took to him and hound him 24/7 on his own rock. He's been there 4 mos now and has doubled in size and actually resembles a bta (vs the blob of deformed tenacles he looked like previously)

Last edited:

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA deflates sometimes to the point of almost disappearing into the hole he's anchored to, for no apparent reason. Then he always comes back within an hour or so.

I think maybe he gets tired of all of the clown "loving".

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA deflates sometimes to the point of almost disappearing into the hole he's anchored to, for no apparent reason. Then he always comes back within an hour or so.

I think maybe he gets tired of all of the clown "loving".
Lol “I’m going to my room! *slams door

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rbta that would split, then the offspring would split, then those would split, their offspring would split, etc until I had a tank full of anemones. Sounds like fun but I lost about half my corals so I eventually purged the tank of all the anemones and haven’t bothered with any since. Imagine having like 15 rbtas in a 60g....

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one we refer to as "Komi" as in Kamikaze. This is one of the splits (baby) from my 10 year old BTAs. This guy has tried to do himself in by climbing into an overflow (we found tank cloudy and white one morning) pulled him out put him in our "penalty box" (acclimation box) to recover. After a month of rehab, released him into tank only to find him on the verge of getting ground to pieces in a powerhead - back to the penalty box for more rehab. He's since tried the powerhead assisted suicide but was unsuccessful because it had nem guards but he's rearranged a return nozzle, attempted to cook himself on a heater and literally tortured any small frags I own. Finally moved him to our 65 gal tank where our 2 gold nugget clowns took to him and hound him 24/7 on his own rock. He's been there 4 mos now and has doubled in size and actually resembles a bta (vs the blob of deformed tenacles he looked like previously)

Here's Kami & friends

IMG_7016.JPG

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was trying not to say that it was fat lol

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back