What algae is this?

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Can you help me identify this algae? It is thin, green, and translucent. It forms little individual sheets that fold upwards. Any idea what it is, and what could get rid of it? It’s pretty tough to pull off the rock, and it comes back quickly. Thanks for your help. I’ve googled it, but I still can’t figure out exactly what it is.

509AB0A9-F827-491A-8BDB-E89442008D43.jpeg

776F77DE-3B6B-412E-AD09-6E5668ABD58B.jpeg

916C4165-7AFF-4A2D-8401-65C67BD75ED3.jpeg

OP
OP
kaiimac

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, y'all are quick! Thank you. Now I can search for what might get rid of it, but if you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I have a 20 gallon tank, so my options are limited. It doesn't seem like the snails or hermits are eating it. There's even a piece growing on a snail, lol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, y'all are quick! Thank you. Now I can search for what might get rid of it, but if you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I have a 20 gallon tank, so my options are limited. It doesn't seem like the snails or hermits are eating it. There's even a piece growing on a snail, lol.
You could try a fish even if it isn't a permanent housing? Maybe @saltyfilmfolks could give you ideas. I know he's battled this?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ulva. As far as how to rid yourself of it. Im not sure. It will not grow in my tank. It grows great on the top of the water with strong light and high nutrients.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily be looking to get rid of it, I've got it all over and when it grows too large I'll pluck it off the rock and either throw it into my QT for a herbavore or just let it float around. Lots of things eat it, copepods seem to love it, I intentionally bring it home from the ocean and it's always loaded with pods.

OP
OP
kaiimac

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ulva. As far as how to rid yourself of it. Im not sure. It will not grow in my tank. It grows great on the top of the water with strong light and high nutrients.

I just got a new light, so maybe that's helping it grow. I was also out of town for a monthwith someone else watching the tank, and the nutrients were highish when I returned home. Perhaps it will naturally go away after a while. The tank is still pretty new.

OP
OP
kaiimac

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily be looking to get rid of it, I've got it all over and when it grows too large I'll pluck it off the rock and either throw it into my QT for a herbavore or just let it float around. Lots of things eat it, copepods seem to love it, I intentionally bring it home from the ocean and it's always loaded with pods.

I actually hadn't thought of just leaving it. I don't love how it looks, but as long as it doesn't go nuts, I suppose I can leave it in there. Maybe I will get some copepods. I also found online that maybe a tuxedo urchin or Mexican turbo snail will eat it.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually hadn't thought of just leaving it. I don't love how it looks, but as long as it doesn't go nuts, I suppose I can leave it in there. Maybe I will get some copepods. I also found online that maybe a tuxedo urchin or Mexican turbo snail will eat it.
Be careful, a lot of times I see Margarita snails labeled Mexican Turbo snails and margharita snails are cold water snails and will die in most reef tanks. My tuxedo urchin hasn't bothered with it yet but I've only had it a few days. Honestly if you really hate it that much it's super easy to just reach in and pluck it out. Mine won't live in the sump, only in DT. My snails will all eat it, sometimes shrimps will have a nibble, and my algae blenny used to eat it before he started getting fussy.
Also another note it looks better IMHO once it grows a bit more, when I get out of class I'll see if I've got some pictures.

OP
OP
kaiimac

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful, a lot of times I see Margarita snails labeled Mexican Turbo snails and margharita snails are cold water snails and will die in most reef tanks. My tuxedo urchin hasn't bothered with it yet but I've only had it a few days. Honestly if you really hate it that much it's super easy to just reach in and pluck it out. Mine won't live in the sump, only in DT. My snails will all eat it, sometimes shrimps will have a nibble, and my algae blenny used to eat it before he started getting fussy.
Also another note it looks better IMHO once it grows a bit more, when I get out of class I'll see if I've got some pictures.

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. I pulled most of it out a few days ago, and now, there's more than I started with. I think I need more CUC anyway, so maybe getting more snails will help. I'll have to look up some pictures to see what it looks like grown out.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. I pulled most of it out a few days ago, and now, there's more than I started with. I think I need more CUC anyway, so maybe getting more snails will help. I'll have to look up some pictures to see what it looks like grown out.
No problem, mine grows like a weed too. I tried to get some pictures but I plucked a bunch of mine off and I messed with my wavemakers so they ended up in a corner just collecting detritus but hey I bet the pods like it at least ;)
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back