What anemone?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 5 months old, lps dominant tank. No swings very stable parameters. Just wondering what type of nem i should be looking that doesnt split like wildfire! I dont mind paying a bit more for something good. Also whats the placement for one

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock flower nems are very cooperative. They rarely move and never split, though there is a small chance they'll spawn in your tank and give you a bunch of tiny free babies. Low-mid placement, probably, somewhere they can stuff their foot into a crevice.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock flowers will be the least likely to go roaming and destroy your corals, also fairly low maintenance with great color. bubbletips are also great, but they will roam. You'll want to introduce it before you load up the tank with corals so it can decide where it wants to live (for now...)

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Do you want a hosting anemone that will pair with a particular type of clownfish?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Do you want a hosting anemone that will pair with a particular type of clownfish?
150G. Was hoping for a hosting nem
For my frostbite designer clowns but its not
Guranteed

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a host, BTA will be your best bet for ease of care and least dangerous to other inhabitants. There are countless "designer" options these days, I have a black widow in my mixed reef and love it.
1705419769676.png

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience, BTA will be the best bet to host. However, they split like crazy. I currently have 21 in my tank and cannot remove many of them without some serious work and even then it is still going to be difficult. Plus mine roam all over stinging stuff. The other issue is many captive bred clownfish seem to take longer to eventually agree to host into the anemone. I know there is some debate on who hosts who, but for the sake of this conversation we say the anemone hosts the clownfish. But my current clownfish took 2.5 years to finally accept the anemone and before I moved, my old clownfish took 6 years. Only when I tried to catch them did they go into the anemone. Some people have instant luck, just know that it isn't always that way! And good luck.

Corey

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the designer ocellaris clownfish breeders out there are raising their clowns with rose/rainbow BTA's, so you may have luck there too. BTA's are not a natural host for percula/ocellaris which is why it can take quite some time for them to get together.
The natural host anemones for your frostbites, and those most common in the trade, would be a Magnifican/Ritteri, Haddoni or Gigantea carpet. You may have luck with an LTA or sebae as well. However, I would not try any of those in a 5 month old tank. These species also require very high light, which your LPS collection may not like.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, you are already aware of the prolific splitting nature of BTA's, which you wanted to avoid. From what I've read, the Colorado Sunburst variant does not seem to split nearly as frequently as the rainbow/rose variety, growing to a large size and truly showpiece specimens.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience, BTA will be the best bet to host. However, they split like crazy. I currently have 21 in my tank and cannot remove many of them without some serious work and even then it is still going to be difficult. Plus mine roam all over stinging stuff. The other issue is many captive bred clownfish seem to take longer to eventually agree to host into the anemone. I know there is some debate on who hosts who, but for the sake of this conversation we say the anemone hosts the clownfish. But my current clownfish took 2.5 years to finally accept the anemone and before I moved, my old clownfish took 6 years. Only when I tried to catch them did they go into the anemone. Some people have instant luck, just know that it isn't always that way! And good luck.

Corey
hmm. both my captive bred maroons took about 2 minutes to find the bta . Starting w/ a natural host species for the specific clown may not take quite so long

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tank is 5 months old, lps dominant tank. No swings very stable parameters. Just wondering what type of nem i should be looking that doesnt split like wildfire! I dont mind paying a bit more for something good. Also whats the placement for one
BTA, long tentacle flower and condylactus but condy anemone are ornamental and generally white or beige

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. both my captive bred maroons took about 2 minutes to find the bta . Starting w/ a natural host species for the specific clown may not take quite so long
I agree it can speed it up. In my old set up, I just had some percs. In this one I went with black footed skunk clowns. I anticipated waiting years anyway, so I got some clowns I hadn’t seen before.

corey

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back