What are these critters?

loungefrog11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm not really worried about these because I'm sure they are a type of amphipod or copepod, but was just curious to know exactly what they are. I have these little shrimp looking things all over in my sump and on my DT. In the DT they hang out in the rock and you can shine a flashlight and see them. They are absolutely thriving in my sump. They are constantly moving around in my sump. Sorry if the video isn't good enough but they don't stay still to get a good pic.

Attachments

• 20240224_074357.mp4
    39.2 MB

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysid shrimp. I had a bunch in my 30g with my angler but now that the angler is gone a couple smaller fish have gone through it under observation, they are all gone. Anything that will eat zooplankton will love them. They will eat detritus and little bits of algae, so they are beneficial.

OP
OP
L

loungefrog11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Mysid shrimp, gotcha. I can't believe how many I have in my tank. I've got 2 clowns, yellow coris wrasse, 6 line wrasse, ruby dragonet, diamond goby, and a 6 line wrasse. I figure some of them will eat them. Hopefully at least keep the Mysid population in check.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back