What are these shrimp ? Baby ones. ?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I had some aiptasia pests, so got 3 peppermint shrimp. Fed them, and aiptasia also gone.
One day a few weeks ago, I noticed one of the peppermint shrimp seemed to have white eggs on its abdomen area.
( they did molt a few weeks ago. )

Now, in my 30 gallon tank, I have two back corner areas with Gracillaria macro algae, and Chaeto algae. A few days ago, I noticed these crazy swimming shrimplets.. baby shrimp from 1 mm to 3 mm ........ all swimming against the glass , but behind the macro algae . Safe area I guess, considering there is a mated pair of Tomato Clowns , plus a small blue tang.

I will try to post a video............ are these transluscent baby shrimp Peppermint ?

I know they are not copepods nor Gammarus shrimp.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I had some aiptasia pests, so got 3 peppermint shrimp. Fed them, and aiptasia also gone.
One day a few weeks ago, I noticed one of the peppermint shrimp seemed to have white eggs on its abdomen area.
( they did molt a few weeks ago. )

Now, in my 30 gallon tank, I have two back corner areas with Gracillaria macro algae, and Chaeto algae. A few days ago, I noticed these crazy swimming shrimplets.. baby shrimp from 1 mm to 3 mm ........ all swimming against the glass , but behind the macro algae . Safe area I guess, considering there is a mated pair of Tomato Clowns , plus a small blue tang.

I will try to post a video............ are these transluscent baby shrimp Peppermint ?

I know they are not copepods nor Gammarus shrimp.
Very well could be!

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic. I have problems loading the video

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still in my main tank, protected by the macro algae I think .

There are at least 30 of these transluscent small shrimp that appeared maybe 2 weeks ago, I never tried to feed them, but now that I see them, I am squirting in some finely chopped halibut ( protein fibers) , powdered flake food , and upped the calcium levels in the tank. I hope a few of them survive to larger size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back