WHAT ARE THESE!?

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen these in my sump not sure if it's fish poo or what but never seen it before
ae26a04f8632ba65f0567186ef3eea41.jpg

JasonSon198s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be remove it as soon as possible and if it gets into the display tank purchase an emerald crab as it can take over a tank if left.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not bubble algae...but I agree get it out. whats concerning is the rust color under each blob. It may be a lot of baby snails which may explain that color but it doesnt look like it.
If you can, pull a few out and put them against white background and post a pic :) it will be easier to ID that way

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look a bit small, but I think I'm seeing all black with a line of white in the middle......looks like a sea slug, but again, on the small side.

Let me find a picture.....I'll get back to you.

EDIT TO ADD:

I found THIS link.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aha!
so glad you found it! I hope it wasnt broken for too long. Definitely try to scrape (or take a filter pad to scrape) as much of the red stuff you can get.

OP
OP
kylevan

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it must have happened without the past couple days I was in there banging around no red stuff was in there just the pellets what does worry me though is the thermometer was in the return end of the sump

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it must have happened without the past couple days I was in there banging around no red stuff was in there just the pellets what does worry me though is the thermometer was in the return end of the sump
Ohhhh but those pellets are heavy right? I can't imagine a regular return pump being able to force that much out.
If you start seeing corals not looking the greatest, test for iron. If you don't get them all out there is an possibility of it leeching iron.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the source of the iron out and then do a massive water change, depending on how much iron is in there. Maybe 100% if it's really bad :/ I don't know what those balls are made of though.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You fine without a water change. I bet if you tested your system for iron, it would be zero. Iron(Fe) is one of the element in the trace element need for corals to color up red corals. We use GFO in our systems which is basically ground up rust to bring down phosphates;)

My first guess would have been some kind of metal pellets.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back