What do I do about all this algae?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales

please will you post here, guide the repair of the Op’s tank live time. It’s hard for aquarists to apply ordered steps in invasion reefs from the video, but if you begin a custom coaching fix that will tie it all in.
If the op has questions about the talk, I am happy to try to answer. I think it is pretty clear the parts about benthic successsion are relevant, and that this tank on its current approach is going to be a fight. I think ordered steps or recipies are generally bandaids that don't give reefers tools they need for now or the future, so I almost never recommend them. I think approach and reefing philosophy is more important than steps to take, and that this tank is on a difficult road due to the current perspective and philosophy - these ideas are discussed in the talk. If this person wants coaching from me or ben, they can reach out at the reef beef podcast website for info on how to get that or they can check our discord.

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cyano, it does come in green, red, and this looks like black but is really a very dark dark red.
I have the same species in my sump.

Screenshot_20230128_090634_Chrome.jpg

You see, to me, it looks too stringy to be any of the types of Cyano I've seen. Not saying you're wrong, just never seen a cyano outbreak so sparse, it usually likes to clump together and create a blanket out of itself. Personally, I am still leaning towards Dino's just based on my experience, especially since one of the hairs is like 10+ inches long, but either way, a microscope can help determine which it is.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see, to me, it looks too stringy to be any of the types of Cyano I've seen. Not saying you're wrong, just never seen a cyano outbreak so sparse, it usually likes to clump together and create a blanket out of itself. Personally, I am still leaning towards Dino's just based on my experience, especially since one of the hairs is like 10+ inches long, but either way, a microscope can help determine which it is.
I agree, once it decides to Clump, it clumps up, but the starts are stringy almost like spider web mats. But it does look like he has some clumps starting on his rocks.
I'm also saying you're not wrong, it very well could be Dino but it looks a little bit too dark to be Dino.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... yeah now that I see his pics. advice was based on GHA statement early on.
It was not a dig , but no tank parameters were ever mentioned. So I think suggesting carbon dosing at this point is just irrelevant.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue lights or white, it is clear that this is a new, unestablished tank.

Do not start adding product to the tank. Let it be and monitor.

As @besskurz correctly said earlier, your best strategy is to correct the cause of the algae.

And in this case, the cause is an unbalanced tank, which is common when a tank is new.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back