What do yall use to suspend ceiling - hanging reef lights onto arm fixtures?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a few really cheap reef lights for sale, but they're ceiling - suspended. I can't reach my ceiling and don't have ladders that fit indoors, and I absolutely can't afford them crashing onto the tank. How do I go about fixing them onto arm fixtures? Will some zip ties and duct tape do do or do I have to tie it up with cables?

The lights look like this, if anyone have an ID that'll be sweet too. Intending to grow SPS such as montis and stylo.

1694839972036.png

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a few really cheap reef lights for sale, but they're ceiling - suspended. I can't reach my ceiling and don't have ladders that fit indoors, and I absolutely can't afford them crashing onto the tank. How do I go about fixing them onto arm fixtures? Will some zip ties and duct tape do do or do I have to tie it up with cables?

The lights look like this, if anyone have an ID that'll be sweet too. Intending to grow SPS such as montis and stylo.

1694839972036.png
So if you have a stud above that tank you could easily suspend them. No stud they make a little anchor that works with drywall. Have 3 red sea lights plus the hang on mount from red sea. I was so worried about them crashing in the tank, but they hold really well actually. Could try that, I couldnt mount my lights because the tank has a rim. Just putting that out there in case you cant find a mount that works with the lights!

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have a stud above that tank you could easily suspend them. No stud they make a little anchor that works with drywall. Have 3 red sea lights plus the hang on mount from red sea. I was so worried about them crashing in the tank, but they hold really well actually. Could try that, I couldnt mount my lights because the tank has a rim. Just putting that out there in case you cant find a mount that works with the lights!
I'm worried about the integrity of my ceiling... it's an 80 year old house and my bed is directly above the tank, I do not want to accidentally bring the whole thing down.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried about the integrity of my ceiling... it's an 80 year old house and my bed is directly above the tank, I do not want to accidentally bring the whole thing down.
cheap amazon tv wall mounts and angled aluminum from home depot you can suspend them from the wall, the setup i did wasn’t much at all, the aluminum was easy enough to cut with a small hack saw but it’s still strong enough to hold the lights, as long as you put the mount on a stud you’ll be good

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap amazon tv wall mounts and angled aluminum from home depot you can suspend them from the wall, the setup i did wasn’t much at all, the aluminum was easy enough to cut with a small hack saw but it’s still strong enough to hold the lights, as long as you put the mount on a stud you’ll be good
gotcha, thanks. Do you mind specifying which aluminium piece you used? Would like to replicate the setup as closely as possible.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah maybe not!!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a joist there, not a stud, use drywall toggles not anchors. They will hold fine.

Last edited:

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A single one of those lights do not have enough weight to pull down the ceiling.

The bed above will be fine. Even if the plaster came down which it will not. There are joists running from your load bearing walls across to the other. Then there will be some kind of board on top of that. If your house is 80 years old it's probably going to be barn board. But it could be an early plywood.

A drywall anchor will work even in plaster. Drill carefully. There will be a mountain of dust so definitely cover your tank.

By the way those lights do not need to be suspended from the ceiling. You could use one of the TV mounts mentioned above and just find a way to adapt it to that. There's probably a couple of screws directly into the unit. You could buy machine screws and drill out the mount.

If you choose that route you will still use the drywall anchors in the wall if you do not find a stud. That light probably only weighs 5 to 10lb.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Means it will be even stronger. Just go slow drilling the plaster until you hit the lath.
This exactly.
Some houses out where I live including my own did something kind of fun. Instead of using lath they used chicken wire even on the interior walls. It's been fun for me!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back