What do you do with your broken aquariums?

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title says, your leakers, your cracked glass, your aquarium you try to drill but bust the glass instead (in my case). What do y’all do with these things afterwards.

I thought about having a new pane of glass made but that’s risky As far as getting it all sealed up again, or do you repurpose the aquarium if it’s just cracked or leaking, or Do you break the rest of the glass and throw it away or do you let it just collect dust and think about what might have been?

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took one tank apart to use the glass for sump baffles. It was far cheaper to do that then have custom glass cut.

Depending on your skill level and tank size it's not that difficult to fix your broken tank. or you could use the rest of the pieces as drilling practise :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made partitions for my current sump from a old 20 gallon tall aquarium I had.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sit in my yard for years on end and then I finally either throw them out or give them away. I had a 180 in my yard for 2 years. It cracked when I moved. I finally found someone who would take it for a snake. I think I just have my failed diy acrylic tank left between my sheds :)

OP
OP
TankYou

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took one tank apart to use the glass for sump baffles. It was far cheaper to do that then have custom glass cut.

Depending on your skill level and tank size it's not that difficult to fix your broken tank. or you could use the rest of the pieces as drilling practise :)
Yes, great idea for folks with non tempered glass!

OP
OP
TankYou

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sit in my yard for years on end and then I finally either throw them out or give them away. I had a 180 in my yard for 2 years. It cracked when I moved. I finally found someone who would take it for a snake. I think I just have my failed diy acrylic tank left between my sheds :)
One of those neighbors, huh?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cracked 20 high into a terrarium. I even had some small fish with it partway filled with water. I have a 55 gallon that I busted the center brace on, may become a baitfish tank or a veggie starting tank come springtime.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cracked 20 high into a terrarium. I even had some small fish with it partway filled with water. I have a 55 gallon that I busted the center brace on, may become a baitfish tank or a veggie starting tank come springtime.
Paludarium, nice

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size and thickness, it may be cost effective to replace the broken glass. Even if you don't fully trust it, can be used as a quarantine. Sell it to recoup repair costs and some.

Drilling practice.
Cut apart and reuse the glass (Currently using side panels from a 10gal as a lid)
Terrarium.
Lots of options.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank, if I bust a 5 or 10 gal and don't need the glass immediately for another project, reptile etc it's getting tossed. If it's a large one that I still want to use I'll reseal replace glass etc as I've done a lot of them and am confident in the process. If it's large and I was tearing down anyway I'd either sell or give as a no water use for someone else to reseal (basically alert them to the issue) or pull it apart to glass sheets to use at a later date.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I did a stupid thing, this is before the internet and instant information. But I had a 55 gallon tank and as many of you know they had a center support, and I saw no need to keep it and i cut it, well i heard the front glass go thunggggg and it bowed out
Well after that I was afraid to stand in front of it and it wasn't till about a month or so that I got a new tank.
I emptied it, took it outside, covered it in a blanket and broke it into pieces. Got rid of it a little at a time.
My friend laughed at me for months.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paludarium, nice
Correction 25 gallon....was my previous reef tank. Worked great as a little jungle until preset heater cooked the tank.
25 gal terra.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back