OP
PorterK

PorterK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a poor design vs other systems that don’t have to rely on a pump if they fail. Even lifereef over flows don’t need a pump.

Oh, I get what you are saying now. The pump isn't required its just nice to have. It will keep siphon without it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, any HOB overflow can lose siphon and I'd rather spend the extra $20 than have to pay for new floors :p

OP
OP
PorterK

PorterK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if the overflow is plugged in that pipe

Ah ok, yeah I see what you are saying. The reason its over there and not directly over the sump is because the edges of the stand (behind the doors that are opened) are angled in. There isn't much room to slide the actual sump there, and if I move the actual overflow I think it will be too close to the outlet. I think if it becomes a problem I will address it, but for now leaving it as-is is my best bet (I already glued it :D)

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I get what you are saying now. The pump isn't required its just nice to have. It will keep siphon without it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, any HOB overflow can lose siphon and I'd rather spend the extra $20 than have to pay for new floors :p

That is why I would not run that overflow system. Is there a reason the DT can’t be drilled? Also you may not fill the horizontal pipe all the way with water. Why do you think the pump was added because they know their system can and will fail.

OP
OP
PorterK

PorterK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I would not run that overflow system. Is there a reason the DT can’t be drilled? Also you may not fill horizontal pipe all the way with water.

It already has fish in it so I don't think drilling on this tank specifically will ever be an option. I have a canister filter on it, I'm now building the sump and I'm going to run them both for a few weeks until the sump is ready to run on its own. Hopefully the horizontal tubing wont get clogged (banking on the sponge filter on the inside of the overflow for this one). Maybe I'll get a float switch inside the tank to be sure that I don't pump too much water in, that would be my best bet right now

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check to make sure the DT doesn’t over fill. If it doesn’t I would put a float switch on the return pump so if it runs dry you won’t burn it up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would change pump to a variable that can deliver water movement and also pull the bio balls and go with live rock rubble and a few mangroves AS your sump is tall. Its a creative concept and good imagination. Just some fine tuning and you will have something that works for you

OP
OP
PorterK

PorterK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change pump to a variable that can deliver water movement and also pull the bio balls and go with live rock rubble and a few mangroves AS your sump is tall. Its a creative concept and good imagination. Just some fine tuning and you will have something that works for you

I got the sump up and running! I put it on a 1000 gph pump. The water level is incredibly stable in the sump for how much flow I have going through the system. Works great though! Running GFO, GAC, and Chaeto! Water is great!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back