What happened to my torch??

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So on Friday I noticed my torch was a little closed. He’s been in the tank for 2 weeks and was fine up until Friday. I figured I’d wait to do my water change and tests on Sunday, which I did this morning. Also I’m dealing with a cyano outbreak but just siphoned most of it today. Haven’t dosed anything for it. I was out all yesterday, and didn’t get to check on him and now today I noticed he looks like this. What happened? I really have no clue what to do to help it.

Params:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: .02
Mag: 1320
Alk: 8.0
pH: 8.08
Salinity: 1.024

3BF9EC19-A132-4029-863A-624D98CF6C8B.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the tank ? Was it properly cycled and what test kit are u using for ammonia?

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any other corals in your tank? did you dip the coral before placing in your tank?
Ya there’s a mix of lps/ sps and I did dip. It was a 30 dollar frag from the LFS wonder if they knew it wldnt last

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params look good but there is no saving that unfortunately it’s a goner. No sign of any flesh
I figured, sad to here wonder what went wrong. I’ve seen my coral beauty nipping a little could he have possibly torn the flesh off??

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are very finicky and need a mature tank to thrive. Your tank is probably still developing biodiversity even though other easy corals may be doing ok.

violetjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you basing this on?

Euphyllia are very sensitive to bacterial imbalances. The only other thing is chemical warfare like a nearby anemone or pectinia stinging it that could cause polyp bailout like that.

All of your parameters are fine. Possible you have metal poisoning so you could do an icp test to rule that out.

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does torch supposed to have very long and thin tentacles, or is this sign of problems?

Sorry to tag along....

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are very finicky and need a mature tank to thrive. Your tank is probably still developing biodiversity even though other easy corals may be doing ok.
Disagree, torches are one of the first corals I put in my tank around 3 months. Even with the uglies they still thrive. There is an underlying issue with that torch, its not just because its a new tank. Do you have any photos of when you purchased it?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree, torches are one of the first corals I put in my tank around 3 months. Even with the uglies they still thrive. There is an underlying issue with that torch, its not just because its a new tank. Do you have any photos of when you purchased it?
Sure could be an underlying issue with the OP torch but if you do a simple google search you will find that torches are not the easiest euphylia to maintain in a tank particularly a new tank less then a year old mature. Its nice that yours are doing well. How long have you had them? How many new heads on each so far? I have 5 in my tank currently.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back